s/r shooting

Discussion in 'Trading' started by clarodina, Dec 19, 2012.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

Notice how the words...

"How to know whether price would overshoot or undershoot?"

...when contemplated from left to right and congregated into something known as a "concept", deal with the concept of uncertainty, not deviation. However, based on your delightful manner, I can see how deviation might color your interpretation of ideas.

#21     Dec 19, 2012
  2. Don't hold back the love.

#22     Dec 19, 2012
  3. Yes,ive noticed,but have hard times to decipher what your talking about.Contemplated...congregated...

This is the problem,everyone is an 'expert'

#23     Dec 19, 2012
  4. Here is another way to look at it.

Someone shares something, look at it with an open mind, if there is value for you run with it, if not, leave it for the next person. No need to spit on it.

#24     Dec 19, 2012
  5. Just tired of 'experts'...The OP's started a good thread,then clueless 'experts' with no reading skills started popping up.

#25     Dec 19, 2012
  6. To the OP.

Just keep 2 of them on your chart:1)Support,at the lower edge of the chart.
    2)Resistance,at the upper edge of the chart.

You don't need anything else.Come and thank me in a while,I wouldn't mind:D

#26     Dec 19, 2012
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

I apologize to Mag for getting snippy. I spent the day sim trading a very old idea because I thought the vol had gone to crap for the rest of the year and had one of my best days in weeks. I was in a perfect state of mind to absorb all the bits of grumpiness around me. I've a whole banana split waiting for you, quite tasty :p

#27     Dec 19, 2012
  8. Banana split for my baby,a glass of plain water for me...;)

#28     Dec 19, 2012
  9. You are seriously out of line...

No Doji knows her stuff... and her response was most certainly relevant.

The OP asked "how u guys deal with..." and "how do u know..."...

What exactly is your confusion with her response relative to the questions of the OP???

She provided a way based on probabilites in the smaller timeframe on how to deal and "know"... "know" in this case defined more specifically as "know with a HIGH DEGREE OF PROBABILITY".

Seriously-- do you still not get it?

#29     Dec 20, 2012
  10. Learning the nuances of price action and candlesticks can help.

As an example-- if u have a defined supply zone (sellers exist in "areas" on the chart...not in an exact location--the extreme point of which is a horizontal resistance line that is drawn from the left side of the chart where a significant pivot point exists where price turned) above current price in your primary time frame (let's say 15 min chart)... how does price arrive to the level in your execution time frame (let's say 5 min)?

Is it a capitulation series of extended range candles with large bodies on high volume... where price falls outside a 2 std deviation move as represented by a significant pierce of an upper bollinger band line outside of normal price distribution? If so-- you have an extremely high probability that the move will not sustain itself and that a reversal is imminent...a reversion of the mean if you will. There are no more buyers left... they are exhausted. Any overshoot is more likely a false BO.

Or is the move a series of small stair step candles on moderate/low volume...a slow crawl up to the level within the confines of 96% of normal price distribution within the bollinger bands? If so - you have a much higher probability of the level failing and a true breakout occurring. Why? Because sellers and supply are drying up... buyers have not been exhausted like they were in the former example above... higher lows are being made.. price is not at an extreme. Any overshoot more than likely still has legs and is a real move to the next level of resistance.

Another way to determine whether an overshoot is real or not is to examine how many times has the level been tested before? The more a level gets tested- the lower the probability that it holds and reverses price and a greater likelihood the overshoot continues on... conversely a fresh level tested for the very first time has a much higher probability of being honored and as a result the overshoot will be nothing more than just that- a headfake... a bull trap.

Also how strong was the level the first time it was established? Did price spend alot of time there before reversing.. and even upon a reversal... had a slow drop (indicating a balance of supply and demand and price equilibrium for an extended period.. and therefore a weak level on which to expect a future reversal... but rather a sustained overshoot)? Or did price spend little time at the level... limited candles before rapidly dropping (indicating a major supply/demand imbalance and therefore a very strong level the next time back... with any overshoot typically being shortlived).

So now with the guidelines above- go back and backtest and see for yourself how reliable this analysis is-- you will be amazed. Naysayers-- don't "nay" until u have the screentime to back up your rhetoric. Trading is ALL ABOUT PROBABILITIES. The price action that I explained earlier tells a story of where the true buyers and sellers are... that's all. It's not just about patterns and self fulfilling prophecies. Think about it-- hard right edge price action is as forward leading as u can get... everything else lags.

Take it a step further and in your basket of stocks-- examine the normal volatility and ATRs-- and backtest when there were overshoots-- how much distance was it relative to your volatility? Find a mean and consider moving your stop location by that amount... simply position size accordingly for the "wiggle room" so as to still keep your defined max
    risk you are willing to accept and not exceed.

And finally - remember-- if you do get stopped out and it turns out that it was merely an extended overshoot and price did subsequently reverse-- you can always get back in. Just never average down... the first stop is always the cheapest and will keep you in the game. Manage your risk first- profits second. Profits will always take care of themselves as long as you have an edge and you manage risk.

And yes Magic- I have provided more than the OP asked for... Merry Christmas.

Good luck.

#30     Dec 20, 2012