S/R candle chart question

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Kastro_316, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ======================
    Helpful points, 6 ticks past S & R is meaningful;
    wouldn't consider 1 tick ES anything but noise

And as for the question is it High -Low, or Open -Close???;
    say yes, all 4. [Page 4]

Certainly would want to consider daily, weekly Hi-Low;
    BUT EVEN a helpful candle for S&R like 60 minutes,
    several reasons not to let all of them close, including last full hour never finishes in ES or NYSE, regular hours:cool:

In other words starting at 8;30 central/Chicago time;
    ES last full hour never finishes, regular hours.Still , end of day close is important.

And below 50 day moving average, usually consider resistance stronger than support;
    first & partial- last week of month can be strong support.
    That exception can still exist with the rule of weakness below 50 dma. For example Year to date candlechart;
    SPY,ES DIA, YM,
    IWM,ER2,QQQQ,NQ

#21     Jun 30, 2006
  2. humble1

humble1

this is the spot to watch for consolidation for the next move one way or the other. 11164 either holds for support or it doesn't.

#22     Jul 5, 2006
  3. humble1

humble1

Double top measurment was made today. 11164 resistance still has not held for support as yet.

#23     Jul 12, 2006
  4. humble1

humble1

looks like that flag mesurment has been made.

#24     Jul 18, 2006
  5. humble1

humble1

looks like this has already made it's short term upside measurment for the sloppy bottom yesterday.

#25     Jul 19, 2006
  6. humble1

humble1

monthly chart....acting like serious support was hit yesterday, again. If it gets pounded a lot it will break eventually.

#26     Jul 19, 2006
  7. I still have to read the rest of these posts, but the one thing thats been tearing at my mind is this..

Say your stock is trading between 20 and 23.00, and your stop is set for lets say 3.00 a share with a 1-1 risk/reward ratio, and right now your stock is trading at 23.00 dollars. Now say the stock falls by 3.00 to its support level of 20.00.

Do you sell because the stock fell to 3.00 which is your stop, or do you hold because 20.00 is also a support level and has not yet broken support?...

The last couple trades I made were just on impulse. I look at charts and try and see what the stock will do next, but as far as s/r goes, I just cant make sense of it. It just seems too subjective..I wish there was a text book example of "THIS IS HOW YOU FIND S/R"...but everyone has their own little way of doing it, and its frustrating.

- nathan

#27     Jul 19, 2006
  8. humble1

humble1

Sounds to me like you want to buy near 20 with a stop just below that, or pass on the trade.

Here is a guy who may be able to help you with this. Just remember this. Support is the place where buying should begin to pick up. If it doesn't then you just have to bail. Same with resistance. It is just a spot where sellling should pick up, but if it doesn't then bail. Trade as close as you can to either. Use long term charts to find "the" important spots where the price action is likely to be affected. Don't ttrade until you get your number. Risk to reward should be 3 to 1 in your favor for each trade. Be picky.

http://www.tic-tac-dough.com/

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/Favorites.CServlet?obj=ID445101

#28     Jul 19, 2006
  9. humble1

humble1

Looks like another target gets hit today just above that 11164 resistance mark.

#29     Jul 28, 2006
  10. humble1

humble1

50% retrace is a normal spot for the bulls to step up. Have no diea if they will or not. Just watching it. On the flip side, if the rally off this fib level is weak and forms a lower high, then we have a potential HnS setup. Pretty important spot right here imo. Upper parallel in combo with the equal moves measurment and price resistance [from the bulls that got stuck in the double top] stopped the rally from last week.

#30     Aug 1, 2006