S&P500 Options expiring on last trading day of the month

Discussion in 'Options' started by ChrisM, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ChrisM

ChrisM

Thanks for this tip. Vey useful :D

So looks like IB is wrong. I was suprised myself when I found it. Now I`m shocked.

I don`t think small print is an issue here, as we are dealing with misleading information.

#11     Mar 21, 2006
  2. Yeah I think it is a fundamental mistake in printing the info. I think you should shoot an e-mail over to them and enlighten them lol.

Or at least tell them to stop giving you the finger..

[​IMG]

Thanks for the heads up on the end of month ES options. I am gonna follow them and see how they trade.

#12     Mar 21, 2006
  3. ktm

ktm

I see no press material from the CME as of yet, but IB has added the new contracts.

Add "ES" to a new line in the TWS, then select Fut Opt June 2006 or later. When the window pops up, there is a new section in the lower left called "Trading Class". The symbol for end of month expiry is EW.

#13     May 15, 2006
  4. ChrisM

ChrisM

Got them, thank you.

No quotes shown yet, looks like it needs another market subscription ?

It is marked as "European" which I believe is wrong again. Otherwise the rest looks the same - multiplier and other details.

#14     May 15, 2006
  5. ktm

ktm

I doubt it requires another subscription. I suspect we'll get quotes when the CME starts trading them.

#15     May 15, 2006
  6. just21

just21

Eurex has added weekly expiration for Dax and Eurostox options as well as a lot more strikes. The problem now with IB is that I had to delete strikes and weeklies as I ran into the limit of number of tickers TWS would display.

#16     May 15, 2006
  7. ktm

ktm

#17     May 15, 2006
  8. ChrisM

ChrisM

It would take a little while to get used to new expiration dates.

3rd Fridays have become big part of my life by now.

#18     May 16, 2006
  9. ktm

ktm

I have to say I'm excited about the prospects. Now we will never have a situation where there's more than 17 calendar days til expiration. Having these interim contracts increases hedging and rolling opportunities dramatically.

#19     May 16, 2006
  10. ChrisM

ChrisM

Well, I run CTA so it takes a lot of hassle to open them at right time and run good result at the end of the month, then always some leftovers become open question what to do with.

I have to use consecutively two types of hedging to achieve good results at proper time.

This new expiration options would make whole work a lot of easier.

My only concern is how they will evolve in sense of volume and overall liquidity. It may takes time.

#20     May 16, 2006