S&P Warns Inv Banks Profits May Plunge 70%

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Cdntrader, Aug 30, 2007.

1. As Per CNBC

2. was there a source story in print for this or was it just cnbc?

3. They interviewed an analyst from S&P earlier.

4. Daal

Daal

these financials wont look cheap after something like this. its crazy for people to be loading up on them

5. S and P just trying to cover their arses and gain some respectability.

any day now the lawsuits will start rolling in after the worst rating grades on debt , bonds and paper ever issued.

short the rating agencies.

they will get it in the neck for the mess they have helped cause big time.

6. Sponger

Sponger

Actually, its rather distressing that they are throwing around the terms "stress testing of assets" - you NEVER hear S&P or Moodys talk about this area of valuation in a public statement about Wall Street players (or anyone for that matter) until WELL after the fact. What's coming down the pike next out of the ratings agencies mouths........

Anyone who has had to deal with ratings agencies on the job will tell you this - as a trader or investor, if you are relying on the agencies to guide you in any way shape or form, you will always be too late in your decisions. If you are long a corporate bond, the company will have filed for bankruptcy before they will even issue a downgrade. They NEVER upgrade or downgrade anyone until WELL after the fact. (I'm exaggerating here, but not much)

The ratings agencies are NOT completely objective companies offering everyone an untainted and unbiased viewpoint. Companies have to be PAY Moodys and S&P a yearly fee to get rated - and let me tell you, it ain't cheap, I know first hand. So you have a complete conflict of interest - because they have to issue ratings changes, but they don't want to lose you as a customer.

Hmmmm......why does that sound familiar......oh yea, Investment Banks getting paid fees by clients for doing financing work, while at the same time issuing buy and sell recommendations on that client's stock.....so to keep the client fees coming in, they tout the stock to placate the client, regardless of how the company is actually doing (didn't that happen with the internet sector Mr. Bloget???). Oh, but wait, I forgot.....they take care of that by building a wall of air between the bankers and the analysts.....what do they call it again......oh yea, "the chinese wall" :eek: :p :p :p

7. that was a rather profound statement issued by S&P. personally i think this is a 'take the money and run" type market. meaning a few quick profits and you shut your platforms down for the day.

8. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Whatever S&P's morivation for the report, I hope the market absolutely crashes into 1996 territory so that I can buy alot of great names at cheap prices to hold for the long term.