S&P sector index?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Inittowin, Mar 20, 2008.

1. This might be a really dumb question, but are there index's that cover each individual sector of the S&P? If so where might I find the ticker symbol of these? I have been looking on Yahoo finance and can not seem to find anything.

2. cold

cold

wrong way wrong direction

ask yourself how come this guy on ET, can trade any instrument and make good dough

how come for him it doesn't matter what ticker symbol something is

ok thank me later :)

3. paden

paden

are you referring to...
    xlf, xlv, xlk, xlb, xlu, xle... etc ?

4. Ah, I believe that will do it. I am looking for something to use that will indicate the direction of each S&P 500 sector as a whole during the trading day. Thanks for your help.

5. paden

paden

OK, then I left off a few in my question
    all in

xlf, xlv, xlu, xlk, xlb, iyz, xle, xlp, xli, xly

You may want to research by % of s&p as well, and sort accordingly. I did not in my post.

Wish you the best.

6. Thanks. I am not worried about what percent of the S&P each one is. I am looking for these to use as an indicator for whether the individual component stocks are likely to rise or fall. For example if the financial sector (xlf) is rising that means that the entire financial sector of the S&P is rising right now and thus individual strength in one financial stock is likely to continue where as if the sector as a whole was falling but one stock was rising it is less likely that the rising stock will continue to rise. Thank you for your list.

7. It is odd to me that there is no telecommunication sector index for the S&P, just the Dow. Weird. Thanks again for the help.

8. paden

paden

Yeah, if anyone else uses another telecom etf, then I am open... this is the "best" one I could find.