S&P Pit Traded Futures and Options Questions

Discussion in 'Trading' started by One, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Who do you think you're trading with when you fill an order in the SPX? Ma and Pa Kettle?

The fact remains that the spreads are no wider in ES... In fact, the markets in SPX are routinely wider. Right now, the Oct 1090puts that are on my screen are 100-wide in SPX, and 75-wide in ES, 150up. Most of the markets are tighter in ES, and at 200up most of the day. Those 1090puts in SPX are 50up.

#11     Sep 22, 2004
  2. ES and SPX 1090p market

#12     Sep 22, 2004
  3. nitro

nitro

90% of my trades in the SPX are against retail traders, I guarantee you. And if I can smell the MM is the one on the other side of my trade, I am very quick to get out or delta hedge.

All of those things are true, but so is the fact that there is little or no retail activity in ES opts. I do not dispute that _if_ the ES opts picked up retail activity that I would be the first to trade them. Until then...

Look at the DJX. You can do 1000 lots at any time on a .10 spread or less at a myriad of strikes and months. Clearly, spreads and size on the B/A is not the principal component of every strategy.

nitro

#13     Sep 22, 2004
  4. globalfutures

globalfutures Global Futures Exchange <br>& Trading Company

#14     Sep 27, 2004
  5. well said nitro... and correct.

#15     Sep 27, 2004
  6. Not really... the fact remains that ES options are routinely tighter and inside the SPX for screen trade, and the ES option brokers will fill inside the posted AQ market. Whether or not you're trading against a MM is moot provided there is relative value... the ES trade in line with the large pit option (SP). After all, the SPX options are driven by the ES/SP futures and not the cash index. *The exception being the SET value upon expiration to cash.* ES options will be Euro exercise to match the SPX conventions in short order; not 100% fungible due to LTD differences, but close enough to cross the arbs.

The short option advantage with ES options is valid... SPAN margins make it possible for the retail index option trader to sell naked gamma based upon risk-margin -- SPX short-option margin make trading naked gamma unfeasible for the retail trader. The haircut is simply too large, no matter what line you're swinging. This is a practical-advantage for the ES due to the arbitrage-pressure that maintain pricing.

I personally prefer a local-traded market(SPX, NDX, SOX...) to a broker-market(ES), but the ES contract has some advantages. I trade roughly equal numbers of ES and SPX, but prefer to trade naked short gamma in NDX.

#16     Sep 27, 2004
  7. Riskarb:

If possible, can you tell me more of the discrepancies of trading S&P 500 options on the CME (SPAN) vs. CBOE (Reg T). I am interested in selling put and call spreads with limited resources.

I find some great online brokers (Think or Swim & OptionsXpress) on the stock side but don't like most of the futures side online brokers.

How much in margin do traders give up with Reg T vs. SPAN??

#17     Sep 27, 2004
  8. The SPX haircut is 4-5x greater, adjusted for multiplier(ES @ $50)

#18     Sep 27, 2004
  9. As an aside question related to the "pit" topic, I've been trying to figure out how to emulate pit-traded SP500 contracts with brokers who don't offer them (like IB). Couldn't a person control two separate accounts and keep the ES contracts separate? Say in one account I went long 5 ES for a position trade (emulates one large SP500) and during a bull-run fade by shorting ES retracements in the other account? That way I'm not having to reestablish the long position incurring the extra commissions. Also this approach keeps both sides of the trade tracking tick-for-tick rather than an elastic spread using another proxy like SPY.

Would brokers allow this?
    :confused:

#19     Nov 17, 2005
    #20     Nov 17, 2005