S&P isn't the problem, Term Limits is the problem.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by jackpearson, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

They are, and even if someone is convinced there would be no gain. I have yet to hear what the harm would be.

#41     Aug 6, 2011
  2. BSAM

BSAM

The discussion has evolved into a useless disagreement.

What we have is a system that is broken.

For those who believe that our founders meant for government "service" to be a lifelong occupation, that's your right.

For those who believe that long term Congressmen aren't prone to corruption, that's your right.

For those who believe our situation can't be improved by getting rid of these squatters, that's your right.

I don't believe these things, but you can if you wish.

You see, it's different streaks for different freaks.

I'm also for a balanced budget amendment and true tax reform.

And, we need to eliminate the House Of Representatives. 435 fewer thugs to have to watch.

#42     Aug 6, 2011
  3. Term Limits must NEVER HAPPEN!!!

I am Daddy Warbucks and I PAID GOOD MONEY for that stinkin' mutha fkr and he/she is STAYING RIGHT THERE doing what I say until I get what I want!!!!

Go buy your own Congressman/Senator before you open yer big fkin' mouth!!!

:D :D :D

#43     Aug 6, 2011
  4. The founding fathers considered, and rejected term limits. That's good enough for me.

If you want to make such drastic changes to the constitution, the burden is on you to show the benefits.

Of which there are exactly none.

#44     Aug 6, 2011
  5. Yes, we do. The broken part is the voting public. Without fixing that, it is completely irrelevant what else is done. It can't do anything positive, and may very well lead to negative blowbacks.

There is no silver bullet.

Are you unaware that the average senatorial term is only 12 years/2 terms? And that the average tenure in the House has been dropping for 20 years?

Term limits are a waste of time. Chasing this rainbow will only serve to distract from meaningful discourse on issues that actually matter. Which of course is exactly why a segment of professional politicians keep bringing it up...

#45     Aug 6, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

The founding fathers also allowed for the continuation of slavery. Were you OK with that? There have been 27 constitutional amendments including one that reversed another.
    The founding fathers in all their wisdom did not and could not possibly foresee the future. I don't take amending the constitution lightly. But it certainly has been necessary in the past.

The benefits have been stated by me and BSAM repeatedly. In fact I consider them to be both obvious and indisputable. You're simply dismissing them out of hand, for reasons I'll probably never understand.

Now again I'll ask you, what would be the harm/downside?

For the most part I agree with you. But many of the voting public no longer pay taxes and it's in their interest to keep electing the same fools that reward them with welfare checks in exchange for votes. Welfare paid for with my tax dollars, assuming you're not a welfare queen, your tax dollars as well.
    Between welfare, ignorance and stupidity we're beyond the point of no return for "fixing" the voting public. I can't imagine how anyone with the IQ of a Lima bean can't see that. We have speed limits, fish and game limits, political donation limits, term limits on the POTUS, carry on luggage limits, etc etc etc... Think of congressional term limits as simply a way of forcing the voting public to stop being so selfish and stupid.

#46     Aug 7, 2011
  7. ammo

ammo

the receiving of benefits from lobbyists is paramount to the corporations control of DC,this is a conflict of interest and laws should be imposed and people incarcerated,this would change business as usual,since so many are already in receivership,the corps could easily blackmail these politicians,make a law that excuses any past transactions(it would never be drafted or pass otherwise) and prosecutes all present and future transactions,no loopholes

#47     Aug 7, 2011
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Another major problem dragging us down which needs to be corrected. Of course there aren't any career politicians to speak of willing to make any changes, yet another reason for congressional term limits.

#48     Aug 7, 2011
  9. TERM LIMITS!!

#49     Aug 7, 2011