S&P 500 up 26% since Obama took the helm.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Why does anyone think that a particular president should be blamed or credited for stock market index rallies or declines?

A market index moves because underlying companies mixed with expectations and other economic issues.

Reminds me of the "Clinton Recovery" that supposedly happened before he took office.

#11     Oct 14, 2009
  2. Bush wouldn't run $2 Trillion dollar deficits. The dollar is being trashed due to Obama's spending.

#12     Oct 14, 2009
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Then the dollar would be stronger, and the economy in worse shape. And... exports would not be growing like they are presently.

#13     Oct 14, 2009
  4. Can't know that... and maybe right, as Bush wasn't eligible to be re-elected. But likely Bush would have pushed for whatever it took to make things look as they are today.

#14     Oct 14, 2009
  5. Well, eons ago I guess. Now it's all about "government manipulation... money-pump". Frankly, I'm surprised the market EVER goes down more than just a sniffle.

The "government interventionist market" era began in 1982... still going, full throttle.

#15     Oct 14, 2009
  6. Once again, we have people posting about topics that they clearly have no knowledge of. Why is it that ET seems to attract some of the dumbest and most ignorant of all???

FACT:

The US Dollar declined 50% during George Bush's two terms as President.

#16     Oct 14, 2009
  7. There is no evidence that he would. Bush did the best he could working with a loser Congress. Republicans have never had the control Obama does. Republicans never had 60 votes in the senate etc.

#17     Oct 14, 2009
  8. Then why is the Dollar at a 14 month low under Obama?

And why is Gold making record highs under Obama?

#18     Oct 14, 2009
  9. Fact: For a 140 years, whichever president was in office during a 20 year cycle died. Four presidents were assassinated (gun): Presidents Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield and Kennedy. Two died of natural causes: Presidents William Harrison and Franklin Roosevelt. Presidents Zachary Taylor and Warren Harding both died in office of assumed natural causes.

In 1980 or 2000? Nothing..

In other words, connecting two events without very convincing proof does not mean anything, they are spurious until proven otherwise. The dollar's decline is properly assumed to be unrelated to Bush.

And perhaps, 9/11 had something to do with this?

#19     Oct 14, 2009
  10. To be fair, Obama would be getting the blame if the market was down, so I have no argument with him getting some props for the rally. His problem is the complete disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street. The "jobless recovery" spin won't wash with the average voter and the Dems will take the hit if unemployment stays where it's at.

#20     Oct 14, 2009