S&P 500 Index Analysis

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by DrChen, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Dr Chen I was pretty impressed with your fundamental analysis until this.

#11     Sep 3, 2010
  2. DrChen

DrChen

Optionpro007,

Thank you for your comment and perhap a veiled question. Let me propose a question to myself and answer it.

"Why don't you have something substantive to say about Tuesday's market action?"

I have no basis to predict Tuesday's market action. Some days market moves due to non-economic events, and some days market action is random. To be a little sarcastic, I would come up with a "fundamental analysis" to my editor if I were a financial news reporter who would have to write something at the end of the day to justify receiving a paycheck. But here I receive no paycheck by writing the analysis, and I won't conjure up a reason to predict the market action when in fact I have no conviction.

Here is a joke. An elementary school boy asks the math teacher, "after you wrote on the whole blackboard to solve the problem, the end result is zero, so why did you spend the time doing nothing?" We all know that the solution to the math problem being zero does not mean that the math teacher did not spend time and efforts solving the problem. Similarly, the decision to provide no fundamental analysis for Tuesday's market action is a calculated decision.

Dr. Chen

#12     Sep 3, 2010
  3. Dr Chen,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful reply to my veiled 'question'. You write like a old friend of mine, that loves to share his thoughts here, as I have been reading his style for a few years...

But it is obvious I was very wrong, please accept my deepest and most sincere apology.

I want to wish you the best of luck and I hope that this time you have better luck with your trades than in 07.

:)

#13     Sep 3, 2010
  4. DrChen

DrChen

Optionpro007,

Thank you for your courteous reply. No apology is necessary because my terse writing makes it nearly impossible for anyone to decipher the thought behind it. I wish you the best of luck in your trading as well.

Dr. Chen

#14     Sep 3, 2010
  5. Tide31

Tide31

Minor in Math had me take some interesting courses. Number Theory was one. The prof told us prior to the exam that the answer to every one of the 10 problems on a 3 hour final was either: zero or one

Obviously it was how you got there that was the entirety of the grade. Dr Chen, appreciate anyone offering their 2 cents. Please keep it up. Unfortunately this week, news got in the way. Close above 1100 today, I would cover those shorts. Personally looking for a rip right out of the gate on Tuesday the way this week ended.
    -T31

#15     Sep 3, 2010
  6. DrChen

DrChen

Tide31,

Thank you for adding the episode in your number theory exam. I will "keep it up" as you encouraged.

Dr. Chen

#16     Sep 3, 2010
  7. I am a bit lost here - could you explain what you are analyzing?

Are you trying to anticipate reaction to reports and news releases? Wouldn't that be highly subjective, or is there a structured process that results in an objective projection?

#17     Sep 4, 2010
  8. toc

toc

Good analysis Dr. Chen. I am mostly technical guy and it would be intriguing to watch how the fundamental news influences the markets. :cool: :D

#18     Sep 4, 2010
  9. DrChen

DrChen

MarketMarsher,

Thank you for your question.

I use the quote from the Aug. 30 Analysis to answer your question: "the Chicago PMI will likely surprise on the upside around 59, which will provide much needed confidence booster for the market to recoup all today's losses." As you can see, the Analysis was trying to predict the economic event and the ensuing market reaction to the extent that I had a conviction. Needless to say, this kind of Analysis is subjective.

Dr. Chen

#19     Sep 4, 2010
  10. DrChen

DrChen

toc,

Thank you for your compliment. Please feel free to offer your critique to the extent that your technical analysis yields a diverging view from my Analysis -- or a concurring view if you wish.

Dr. Chen

#20     Sep 4, 2010