S.F. becomes first city to top $10 per hour minimum wage.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 12, 2011.

1. its odd isnt it, australia has a min wage over $13 pr hour, best stock market for 110 year record and they seem to be doing fine. We should slow them down by sending over someone to explain the laffer curve to them, that should sabotage their economy.:D

#21     Dec 13, 2011
  2. BSAM

BSAM

People merely respond with some "conclusion/proof" from some D.C. thug who has a monetary interest in protecting big business.

Can be a Democrat or Republican.

#22     Dec 13, 2011
  3. Visaria

Visaria

Why stop at $10? Why not make the min wage $100 ph? :D

#23     Dec 13, 2011
  4. Visaria

Visaria

Price supports such as the min wage are nothing to be proud of. I feel for the unemployed people who could have had jobs but they could not be employed because it was too costly.

And btw, i have visited SF a couple of times ( i live in London). It is indeed very pleasant. But that is not because of an inflated minimum wage policy.

#24     Dec 13, 2011
  5. dealmaker

dealmaker

Unlike most on this thread, I have lived in SF and currently live within the SF Bay area. Other than being expensive its a clean, safe, culturally diverse city with the best weather of anywhere I have traveled or lived at.
    SF is the #1 destination for the recent college graduates (#2 being Boston) and offers better employment opportunities than all other cities in US large or small. Silicon Valley is only a hop, skip and a jump away and all the tech millionaires/ billionaires and the tech employees need support services such as finance, legal, medical, entertainment ( SF has the oldest professional ballet company in the US and of the top symphony & opera companies ) etc....
    All that said I agree that $10 minimum wage is not healthy for the businesses especially given that most collecting minimum wage do not live in the city or county limits.

ps even some tech companies such as twitter are located in the city

#25     Dec 13, 2011
  6. Visaria

Visaria

I have to admit we have our own minimum wage here in the UK, works out at $9.41 ph :mad: .

#26     Dec 13, 2011
  7. EricP

EricP

Have you looked at the academic test scores of Australia versus the U.S.? If you do, you'll find they exceed the performance of U.S. students at every age group. Maybe they are <b>worth</b> a min wage of $13 per hour, while in the U.S., our lower tier workers may only be <b>worth</b> $7.00 per hour, or even less.

Being able to fog a mirror or have a heartbeat does not mean you're worth a higher wage. This entitlement culture which is growing in the U.S. tends to rely on crap like 'fairness' and 'living wage' => When what really matters is whether your time and effort are worth the value that a company has to pay. If not, a higher minimum wage won't matter, as you'll never be hired for a higher wage job. It's certainly not 'fair' to force a company to pay an employee more than they're worth. And it won't happen. Instead, the potential employee will be fired and/or remain unemployed, as they aren't worth the higher wage.

Reduced academic performance, pathetic motivation, poor work ethic => Even Obama is saying we've become a lazy society. And now these same people are saying a higher min wage is needed?

#27     Dec 13, 2011
  8. I'm told that there is a 2400 year history of wage and price controls and such policies have a 100% failure rate.. Probably minimum wage efforts are more about getting votes and making people feel like the politicos are actually good for the culture...

#28     Dec 14, 2011
  9. SF is clean, safe and has the best weather? LOL, are you smoking something? it's a dirty city and much of it is not safe because of the homeless addicts or slums like BayView-HP.

and the weather is great if you like fog or overcast skies 250 days per year.

but you're right about it being a diverse place. the only reason to live in SF is if you're an oddball who won't fit in anywhere else (e.g., drag queens or liberal nutjobs).

#29     Dec 15, 2011