S.F. becomes first city to top $10 per hour minimum wage.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ashatet

ashatet

SF is a sh^thole. That is what it is. If it weren't for the Silicon Valley, it would be another liberal city that would have wasted away and no body would have noticed. The only thing that they do not tax on is air to breathe.

Does the article mention how expensive it is to afford a place there and what is the cost of gas.

If you are not employed by the government or the high tech sector, there is not reason to be in SF.

#11     Dec 12, 2011
  2. dealmaker

dealmaker

peilthetraveler

12-12-11 11:34 AM

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sf-be...-084124973.html

This article really talks about how great this minimum wage is and how people are going to have more money in their pocket. But my 21 year old cousin lives in S.F. and about a week or so ago told me "Job-searching is so depressing. Apparently I'm not even qualified to open doors for people at an apartment building without a fucking Bachelor's degree"

Currently S.F. also has the highest rate of homelessness in the entire nation. This higher minimum wage isnt going to help unskilled workers at all, it will just put more people on the streets in my opinion.

SF is a very expensive city to rent or own, thus overwhelming majority of the people who benefit from the $10 minimum wage live outside the city and county of SF.

#12     Dec 12, 2011
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

+1

When I was in San Fran several years ago, I was glad to get on the plane, and leave that planet! Don't get me wrong, I love Pier 39, and going to the wharf to eat at Scoma's, but other than eating some good food, and shopping around with the Wife, I have ZERO use for SF. What a toilet!

(I apologize in advance to those living in SF who actually have common sense. There are a few there still there. A few...:( )

#13     Dec 12, 2011
  4. zero use for SF? sounds like you're broke as a joke and can't enjoy what the city has to offer, let alone any other city like Chicago or NYC.

I live in SF and its nice to have a decent minimum wage to help out people who work here on the bottom end of the ladder since it is very expensive. Not to mention the bridge tolls that cut into their commute costs.

#14     Dec 13, 2011
  5. SREC

SREC

Instead of minimum wages, maybe they should work on getting the rents to a reasonable level. I don't know where else in US you actually have to pay thousands to rent floors in houses made of cardboard.

SF is a beautiful city, that's for sure.

#15     Dec 13, 2011
  6. nobody cares.

As one poster pointed out- Smaller Companies will leave SF. Major banks, currency firms and shipping firms will Lay off but stay.

In the long run, there will be more unemployed in SF due to this forced wage.

The fools who champion such non sense are the ones who end up getting hurt in the long run. The smart people already left Cali.

Old Jerry Brown has a propaganda campaign running to try and get the population of Cali to vote for a state tax rate hike.

I was just in LA for Music Business and many are clapping his effort.

Cali is beyond fucked.

#16     Dec 13, 2011
  7. LEAPup

LEAPup

I noted an apology "Dude" at the bottom of the post to anyone living in SF. No, I'm not broke. As noted in my post, my Wife enjoys shopping on Pier 39, and we both like places on the Wharf like Scoma's, and that takes more than a few dollars...

Beautiful city that has food and shopping that I enjoy, but that's as far as it goes. The politics there are nuts as well as a large percentage of the SF population.

And a $10 minimum wage is going to "help" people living in SF? You must be kidding me! As you've noted, it's expensive to live there, and the bridge tolls add up... A $10/hour minimum wage is nothing more than a small band aid.

Last, if I owned a business, it wouldn't be there with out of control politicians running as rampant as the queers in the streets. No thanks

#17     Dec 13, 2011
  8. BSAM

BSAM

A few points...

With government manipulation in favor of the rich being what it is here in the USA, the minimum wage should be at least 10 dollars an hour all across the country.

San Francisco is a quite beautiful and historic place.

If you've never been there, I encourage you to visit.

Yes, the cost of living is out of control, but it is indeed a great vacation destination.

Incidentally, the minimum wage in Santa FE, NM (another great area to visit) is $9.85.
    Where's the outrage for Santa Fe??
    Or, does 39 cents quell the online riot?? LOL

#18     Dec 13, 2011
  9. MKTrader

MKTrader

Why? Because you said so? All the minimum wage will do is cause distortions and more unemployment. The chef has it right in the article. If people can't get a "living wage," move somewhere else.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sf-becomes-first-us-city-084124973.html

"What the average San Franciscan may not know, he said, is that business owners also must pay another $1.23 to $1.85 an hour per employee for health-care coverage if they don't offer health insurance. San Francisco is also the only city in the state that charges a payroll tax of 1.5 percent; it also mandates nine paid sick days annually per employee.

"So that drives me nuts, that as a chef, I have to cut my kitchen allowance," Scherotter said. "What I pay for a waiter is more than double what Manhattan pays, it's more than double what Chicago pays, and it's four times what Boston pays. And those are ... other big, expensive, pro-labor cities. But I pay what they all pay added together for tipped employees."

Scherotter said the double whammy of recession and wage hikes has led to eight layoffs in his kitchen in the last four years.

#19     Dec 13, 2011
  10. Mercor

Mercor

Higher minimum wages lead to gentrification of urban cities.
    It also keeps the poor from these neighbors. How can they afford a $10 hamburger.

#20     Dec 13, 2011