Ryan Jones - the final frontier in snakeoil!!

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by 50 cent, May 5, 2004.

1. benysl

benysl

actually I love his book. The top on my list books is actually Ryan Jones book and Jim Paul book. Because of his book I purchase his video. Of many video and course that I purchase I never regret buying Ryan Jones course. Of course I am referring to his Fixed Ratio method. I am not familar with his system nor am I interested.

But his fixed ratio do open up a whole new money management look for me.

Again to each his own.

#21     May 7, 2004
  2. The gurus tend to all support each other. Larry Williams has positive comments on Ryan Jones. Linda Raschke praises Larry Williams.

The exception is "guru" Gary Smith. He's the "average Joe" trader that has done pretty well for himself. Very honest.

#22     May 7, 2004
  3. I've always said that even a charlatan can sell pure gold. Ryan Jones may be a liar and a thief, and still the material in his book may be useful. It doesn't contradict each other. I learned a lot from Pristine's book, believe it or not. But it doesn't mean they aren't charlatans. These are two unrelated things.

#23     May 7, 2004
  4. TraderD

TraderD

Here are my impressions of the book:

(-) Fixed Fractional method is touted as geometrical growth recepy. But nothing comes for free. It seems to me that geometrical growth comes as a result of geometrical exposure. Risk in such model growth faster than account. At some point you end up with a really big position which is very volnurable to unexpected events (always a factor to consider).

(-) too much irrelevant info, some chapters/ tables just act as fillers;

(-) very poorly edited;

(+) might be of benefit to people new to money management topic;

(+) i have actually come accross a very good idea in the process of reading this book. probably because book triggered me to take open minded approach to MM

#24     May 7, 2004
  5. I haven't read his book. The title of the book immediately made me avoid it ("Play the numbers to make millions").

But please share your good mm idea with us..

Cheers

#25     May 7, 2004
  6. PM me with your email address, I cant put an attachment in the ET "PM" format to send you.

Michael B.

#26     May 7, 2004
  7. mmillar

mmillar

I put together a spreadsheet comparing Fixed Ratio and Fixed Fractional using Monte Carlo simulations. I found that FR was better. Ryan Jones does say that FR is only for starters and then when you have plenty of money you should switch to FF. I haven't compared this to Van Tharps MM methods - I'm in the process of doing this.

I found the book extremely well written and not in need of editing. I suppose that is just personal opinion.

I thought the book was very honest and explained things well. On top of the FR MM method I thought he did a very good job of explaining how to interprete mechanical trading systems. And he gave a system in the book which is actually quite good.

If I was going to waste money with any 'snake oil salesman' then Ryan Jones would be top of my list. However, I'm not going to. ;)

You can get copies of this book off the Internet so you tight arsed bastards don't even need to spend the $20 or so to get all the info. :)

Cheers

#27     May 7, 2004
  8. mmillar

mmillar

Can you tell me which books you think are more advanced on the subject of MM.

Thanks

#28     May 7, 2004
  9. what does he charge to teach me to be a guru? Sounds like MLM but some people make money at that too....

#29     May 7, 2004
  10. monetoz

monetoz

First of all, andrasm, you already are one (you're a vendor).

Ryan Jones is an author of a widely known Money Management algorithm. Many people find it to be the best among various MM techniques, or at least a valuable contender. Given this, many people who read this thread (including me) are really surprised he's sunk so low.

#30     May 7, 2004