Ryan Jones - the final frontier in snakeoil!!

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by 50 cent, May 5, 2004.

1. They are talking about Ryan Jones who is the fixed ratio guy... the Canlim IBD trader is David Ryan.

--MIKE

#11     May 5, 2004
  2. Ryan is the creator of the Smart Trading Mentorship Program. His trading accomplishments are many. In 1999, Ryan guaranteed the profitability of a single trade to a group of 200 traders at a seminar. Had the trade not worked out, Ryan would have owed a total over $150,000 to these traders if they took the trade and lost. Within 2 weeks, the trade hit the profit target given (time frame was within 3-months). It takes a special kind of confidence and understanding of the markets to be able to guarantee a trade. You will learn exactly what that trade is and why Ryan could be so confident by committing to the Smart Trading Mentorship Program.

In 2000, Ryan entered a world renowned, year-long, real money trading contest in December, with less than 4 weeks left in the contest. In that small period of time, Ryan was confident enough with his trades that he could achieve at least 3rd place in the contest (third place was sitting at 36% for the year when Ryan entered his first trade). By December 31st, Ryan had achieved his goal and took 3rd place with a 42% return.

From January 2001 to March 2001 (less than 90-days), Ryan took a $15,000 account and turned it into over $107,000, real time, real money...day trading the S&P AND utilizing his money management strategy known as Fixed-Ratio.

In January 2003, Ryan required 20 students to pick 5 of the very best trades possible based on their current knowledge and experience. Less than 20% of the students ended that assignment with a net profit across the trades. In February of 2003, Ryan took those same students and gave a similar assignment, only this time giving one general instruction on the TYPE of trade to pick. They would choose everything else. By the end of this assignment, 90% of the students ended up showing a net profit with their trades!

These are all good experiences. But they certainly are not ALL. Not every trading attempt is profitable and even when some are, they are not necessarily without the hits and drawbacks. In February of 2003, implementing one of his favorite strategies, Ryan took a $12,000 hit per contract because of a gap opening. In 1995, using virtually the same strategy as what was used in the 2000 contest to secure a quick, 3rd place finish, Ryan's strategy showed a net loss for that year.

For most, going an entire year without making money on a strategy or even taking a $12,000 hit on a single trade would probably send most traders running for the hills if it didn't wipe them out first. It isn't that Ryan doesn't go through drawdowns, losing periods or take single trade hits that are bound to happen. It is the fact that Ryan has learned, and teaches through the Smart Trading Mentorship Program how to properly handle, manage and PLAN for the risks while making the most out of the profitable time periods.

#12     May 5, 2004
  3. Actually, I have that book, which I thought was good. But this latest endeavor is sickening. His websites are like infomercials, which quickly turned me off a long time ago.

Michael B.

#13     May 5, 2004
  4. monetoz

monetoz

WOW...

#14     May 5, 2004
  5. ... astonished ... can't utter a word ... tongue falled off the ground ... :)

... should admit ... a very informative post ... :p

#15     May 6, 2004
  6. markc

markc

It's funny this thread should start now. I received spam from Jones last week. He is selling signals/system that trades a dozen different patterns, with each pattern only occuring 3-4 times a year or so on the emini sp.

So, bundled together the system looks great. What a joke.

I tried to attach a detailed report, but the file was too big. Here is the spam below anyway. Check out the drawdown, profit factor and accuracy. What a great curve fit!

If it holds up for the next few years I will admit I am wrong - but I wouldn't touch this snakeoil junk with my worst enemy's wallet.

Escalate S&P E-mini System

Escalate is a long awaited, short-term S&P E-mini system that is the culmination of my daily S&P research that started back in 1994 with my KamiKaze Trading Newsletter! Several years ago, I continued the research I started in the newsletter with two major reports call The S&P Short-Term Trading Report – Finding a Bias; and my Short-Term S&P Gaps Report.

Last year, I put together a combination of strategies that grew out of those three publications. After these strategies were finished being programmed, the following test results occurred using the S&P E-mini data:

These test results include $30.00 in slippage and commission being taken out.

Jan 1, 1997 - Sept 1, 2003

Net Profit: $112,165
    Winning %: 87%
    Total Trades: 334
    Win/Loss Ratio: .75
    Average Trade: $336
    Maximum DD: $2,200
    Profit Factor: 5.20

After programming was finished, I did not chang a single parameter and allowed the program to continue to generate the signals to serve as my out of sample testing period. The following represent this testing period:

Sept 2, 2003 - April 16, 2004

Net Profit: $6,170
    Winning % 90%
    Total Trades: 29
    Win/Loss Ratio: 1.14
    Average Trade: $213
    Maximum DD: $1,000
    Profit Factor: 9.88

Escalate S&P E-mini is actually 12 different signal setups combined into one powerful system for short-term trading the S&P Emini (or Big S&P). Diversification is built right into the system. As a result, the system does not rely on just one type of market action to have the ability to continue to produce solid trading profits.

Other great features of the Escalate S&P E-mini System are:

* Low Drawdowns
    * High winning percentage
    * Short-term trading (average trade is 1 - 3 days)
    * Large Profit Factor
    * Can be traded on the S&P E-mini
    * Perfect for powerful money management strategy
    * Uses End of day data
    * Uses High probability Exit Strategies

TREMENDOUS MONEY MANAGEMENT RESULTS:

I applied a fairly conservative money management strategy to this track record. Nothing fancy, just a simple and conservative version of my Fixed Ratio money management strategy. The 7-year results turned into over $3 MILLION in profits!

On May 3, 2004, we are going to begin trading the Escalate S&P E-mini system and combining it with a similar money management strategy mentioned above. If you are interested in receiving the exact same signals we will be taking, along with the exact money management strategy we will be implementing, simply respond to this email for details on the Escalate S&P E-mini System (including a chart of the equity after money management) and details on how you can participate in this unique opportunity.

Participation in this program is extremely limited. Respond today to ensure this is not an opportunity you miss.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Jones
    Trader

#16     May 6, 2004
  7. TraderD

TraderD

F*ck. I just read his book on Fixed Ratio. What a joke. What's really not cool that I got a tip for this book from some clown (was that you Ryan?) on ET. And what is totally not cool is that I bought this book after reading plenty of negative reviews on Amazon:)

#17     May 7, 2004
  8. PCanyon

PCanyon

He signs it:
    Ryan Jones
    Trader

Perhaps he meant Ryan Jones, Traitor

#18     May 7, 2004
  9. mmillar

mmillar

I love this book :) It has certainly helped me to develop and implement better systems. Each to his own. :cool:

#19     May 7, 2004
  10. Just read it myself. Wasn't impressed.

#20     May 7, 2004