Russians Pissed Off At WikiGeek

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bugscoe, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Russians targeting Wikileaks to stop new data dump
    POSTED AT 1:35 PM ON NOVEMBER 30, 2010 BY ED MORRISSEY

Until now, Julian Assange has selected his adversaries rather well. Despite humiliating the Obama administration three times, the White House has done little except announce a preliminary probe into potential criminal charges against Assange and his team at Wikileaks. The Daily Beast reports that when it came to Assange’s next adversary, he may have chosen … poorly:
    The Russians, under the leadership of former KGB officer Vladimir Putin, have not blanched at, well, much of anything. The death of Alexander Litvinenko from a slow-acting poison is widely believed to have been an assassination conducted by the FSB. The poisoning of Ukrainian leader Viktor Yushchenko in the Orange Revolution was similarly suspicious, and dissident Boris Berezovsky survived at least one attempt on his life as well.

That problem may be more acute for the people who supplied Assange with the data rather than Assange himself. The FSB has restrained itself mainly to attacking Russian expatriates rather than Westerners, but as the DB reports, Wikileaks almost certainly got whatever they have through that route, especially from the super-rich Russian industrialists that had to flee after Putin took power. Given Assange’s predilection for releasing information in its raw form, the FSB will likely have little problem finding the sources of the data and making sure that they won’t give Assange anything else ever.

Russia will most likely contain itself to cyberwarfare on a massive scale to shut down Assange rather than violence. If they succeed, they may wind up doing Barack Obama a huge favor, since the continuing exposure of communications data has the White House continually on the defensive. But if someone winds up grabbing Assange, he may want to pray that it’s the Americans rather than the FSB.

2. Ricter

Ricter

Hmm, good reason to grow wikileaks. I wonder how much storage I'd need to mirror their data.

3. This is how the Russians operate:

"...But Assange's most pressing headache is Sweden. Swedish prosecutors have issued an international and European arrest warrant (EAW) for him in connection with rape allegations, and the warrant has been upheld by a Swedish appeal court.

Assange strongly denies any wrongdoing but admits having unprotected but consensual encounters with two women during a visit to Sweden in August...."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/nov/30/interpol-wanted-notice-julian-assange

those "Swedish" girls were probably planted by the Russians and Assange was dumb enough to take the bait.

4. who said they were girls?

5. English may not be your first language:

girl [gɜːl]
    n
    1. a female child from birth to young womanhood
    2. a young unmarried woman; lass; maid
    3. Informal a sweetheart or girlfriend
    4. Informal a woman of any age
    5. an informal word for daughter
    6. a female employee, esp a female servant

6. Hello

Hello

My old man taught me a very valuable lesson early in life. He was a tax lawyer, and knew Canadian tax law very well. I had a deal when i moved to the states which i thought i could cheat on a tax bill for something totally unrelated to my income. And he said to me.

"Son there is a certain price which must be paid to be able to sleep comfortably at night"

I believe this situation falls under that category. I would never want to have something like the wikileaks site hanging over my head as i tried to go to bed at night. This is one thing i would not screw with.

7. Is anybody seeing this?

A U.S. law enforcement official is unashamed to say it's ok with him if Russian hit men kill a member of the press?

It's time for governments to make an adjustment to new realities. Not the internet!

8. Just paypaled $200 to Wikileaks. Great work guys.

9. Good! I've also given, and encourage others to do so.

10. Picaso

Picaso

I have tons of confidential information that could bring down the Russian government several times over and I'm about to put them on the web... seriously...

:D

#10     Dec 1, 2010