Russian Tycoon bets on Immortality

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Makes sense that only the wealthy would initially have access, but I don't know about narrow appeal. Fear of dying is universal, its not just an upper class concern.

#11     Mar 19, 2013
  2. God would not allow it neither will Satan!

It's bad for the Faith Selling business!

#12     Mar 19, 2013
  3. heypa

heypa

If your gonna live forever STOP REPRODUCING!!!!!!!!!!

#13     Mar 19, 2013
  4. DT-waw

DT-waw

Actually a recepie for a looong living (256 yrs is the record - Li Cheng Yuen)
    is known for centuries. It is:

* slow living
    * slow eating
    * slow training
    * slow thinking
    * slow love making (called tantra)

* calm mind
    * calm heart
    * calm spirit

believe me, it is WAY,
    MUCH
    HUGELY
    IMMENSLY!
    easier to do all the above WHEN you're living in HOT HOT HOT and sunny climate.

In cold and windy climates of North Europe and North America people are doing what?
    Living freaking fast!
    Remember the old saying "live fast, die young" ?

Dear Lord, who is going to make money promoting long life?
    :D

#14     Mar 19, 2013
  5. If you read some of the responses on this thread, you will find that most dont' even like the concept of living forever. Surprising, but true.

#15     Mar 19, 2013
  6. DT-waw

DT-waw

Amazing, that folks (and journalists) do not get the difference between immortality and longevity.

oh well, hell f**k , of course its not funny to live in the same body forever!!!

but for 150, 200, 300 years?

you know, for some people it takes like 50-60 years to learn some basic truths or skills. by the time they learn it, its over.

Hey Mr Russian Tycoon! Hire me. Well, i've already said everything in this thread, by you can still pay me if you want :cool:

#16     Mar 19, 2013
  7. Epic

Epic

Law of diminishing returns is already taking hold. I remember us all saying that we would have flying cars by the time I got my drivers license a few decades ago. Not even close. We can't hardly even make a car that drives itself to a satisfactory level. They've been claiming that a cure for baldness is less than 5 years away for almost 20 years now.

In addition to diminishing returns, we created so much red tape that progress is getting more difficult. Take the car example. If a car drives itself, who is liable for an accident? If it is the manufacturer, then progress will be incredibly slow. Likewise if it is the software developer. It doesn't matter at all that there would be fewer accidents in aggregate. It only takes one person getting killed by a technical malfunction.

I do think that bioscience is the next big breakthrough, but I think it will be in the form of cloning and gene modification. I share your sentiment on taking a trip into space, but it is really just a novelty that is losing its appeal in the modern era. We've now realized the inherent problems with space travel and for the most part, human space travel just isn't worth it on a mass scale.

#17     Mar 19, 2013
  8. Visaria

Visaria

You forgot slow trading. :D

Actually, there's not much point trading if you are gonna live for hundreds of years. Just stick it all in index fund, compounding will do the rest.

#18     Mar 20, 2013
  9. Bob111

Bob111

already done. just look at the charts and volume.
    market is dead. even on FED's day :)

#19     Mar 20, 2013
  10. DT-waw

DT-waw

yeah, trading is no longer funny.

just buy 1/3 amazon, 1/3 Zara, 1/3 LVMH and hold for eternity.

women will always buy clothes, bags and shoes no matter what.
    best business ever!

software/hardware? trading commodities? leave the wild stuff for youngsters...

#20     Mar 20, 2013