Russian Hostage Resolution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by goldenarm, Oct 27, 2002.

1. machine

machine

I don't want to bore you to death but here's a little bit of russian-chechens relations:

"Recognized as a distinct people since the 17th cent., the Chechens were the most active opponents of Russia's conquest (1818–1917) of the Caucasus. They fought bitterly during an unsuccessful 1850s rebellion led by Imam Shamyl. The Bolsheviks seized the region in 1918 but were dislodged in 1919 by counterrevolutionary forces under Gen. A. I. Denikin.

After Soviet rule was reestablished, the area was included in 1921 in the Mountain People's Republic. The Chechen Autonomous Region was created in 1922, and in 1934 it became part of the Chechen-Ingush Region, made a republic in 1936. After Chechen and Ingush units collaborated with the invading Germans during World War II, many residents were deported (1944) to Central Asia. Deportees were repatriated in 1956, and the republic was reestablished in 1957.

In 1991, as the Soviet Union disintegrated, the Chechen-dominated parliament of the republic declared independence as the Republic of Ichkeria, soon better known as Chechnya. In June, 1992, Russia granted Ingush inhabitants their own republic (Ingushetia) in the western fifth of the territory.

Tensions between the Russian government and that of Chechen president Dzhokhar Dudayev escalated into warfare in late 1994, as Russian troops arrived to crush the separatist movement. Grozny was devastated in the fighting, and tens of thousands died. Russian forces regained control of many areas in 1995, but separatist guerrillas controlled much of the mountainous south and committed spectacular terrorist actions in other parts of Russia. Fighting continued through 1996, when Dudayev was killed and succeeded by Zelimkhan Yandarbiyev. The Russians withdrew, essentially admitting defeat, following a cease-fire that left Chechnya with de facto autonomy.

Aslan Maskhadov, chief of staff of the Chechen forces, was elected president early in 1997 but appeared to have little control over the republic. In 1999, Islamic law was established. Terrorism, including a series of bombings in Moscow, erupted again, and after Islamic militants invaded neighboring Dagestan from Chechnya, Russian forces bombed and invaded Chechnya."

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia Copyright © 1994, 2000, Columbia University Press.

Source: http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0857260.html

Now you can judge for yourself. This is not even a Russian source but reputable American one.

#11     Oct 27, 2002
  2. You will have to forgive my nephew and his belief that he knows a lot about world affairs and politics.

You see, we played Risk (the game of World domination) frequently when he was a lad, and I let him win to help build his self esteem. He was quite fond of capturing Yatsuka.

Then he moved on to dungeons and dragons, and I heard from Gerty that he is now playing the latest version of Risk 2002, which includes terrorism and weapons of mass destruction.

So, please be kind to the poor boy.

Uncle Ernie Coil

#12     Oct 27, 2002
  3. This is now getting too funny because I almost choked to death reading this!! LOL

#13     Oct 27, 2002
  4. I agree on all your points. I too thought it would end much worse. And obviously you can't set precedents of giving in to terrorists demands. But in this particular situation, Russia is guilty of having triggered the whole thing and if they did back off, I don't think it would have been such a bad precedent. The means don't justify the end though.

#14     Oct 28, 2002
  5. Raid on Entebbe. In things of this nature, the Israeli's excel.

Was Mr. Putin putting on a camera face?

#15     Oct 28, 2002
  6. Machina, dude, I don't have time to dwell on all the tiny details, but let's just say that there are as many histories as there are historians. I am sure if you, if only just for a second, part with the brainwashed Russian part of yourself and dig a bit deeper, you'd see that you ignited all the mess in there. It's easy to assume that having been a "super-power", whatever, state, you can just go and impose you policies all over neighboring regions. But let's face it, only the US can do it :D. The "G7 and Russia" speech pattern is a joke. And YES, Crimea IS Ukrainian and YES, we WILL kick your Russian butts out of there - I'll just have to go back there some time and run for president....
    By the way, you dudes all originate from Ukrainians (Kievan Rus, remember?), so again, if you dig deeper, you'll see that IT IS ours.
    It's not about oil, it's about the pipeline??? LOL. It's that the same thing???

#16     Oct 28, 2002
  7. machine

machine

You can't compare Raid on Entebbe with what happened in Moscow. In first case terrorists could never expect that israelis would come to Uganda for the hostages, they weren't prepared. They didn't have 2000kg of explosives also. A few grenades, maybe. It was a daring attempt and it worked well but it was completely different situation, uncomparable.

And don't get me started on presidents faces, please.:)

#17     Oct 28, 2002
  8. machine

machine

You're just being pathetic. You can't even argue in a civilized manner. All you do is trying to insult me and all Russians in my face. I brought you tons of facts but you keep saying about stupid pipe and kicking Russian butt. What impression about Ukrainians you gonna leave on this board?:confused:

#18     Oct 28, 2002
  9. wild

wild

10. I don't know what else the Russians could have done. An analogy could be drawn between that situation and the situation here in the US, where fighter planes had orders to shoot down any rogue planes near metropolitan areas. I didn't hear any complaints about that. Killing a few hundred innocent people on a plane to prevent a greater tragedy on the ground.

#20     Oct 28, 2002