Russian collapse coming?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Ivanovich, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Here here.

#51     Sep 19, 2008
  2. Talk about rhetoric. And lies.

1. Russia seeks positive ties... no, they seek domination by force. That's their way of life.
    2. Russia seeks end to confrontation... oh right, we will invade another democratically-run nation and kill their citizens, but this is no way equates to confrontation. Sure bitches...
    3. Russia is poor at the game of media.
    4. No positive agenda has been begun by Russia, so none will be continued.
    5. Unifying agenda... like in Georgia? Fuck you, Putin, and every one of your sorry red asses.

Please send a nuke to the USA, or just blow up one you already have here on US soil. I want justification to turn your continent into one large sheet of glass in 30 minutes or less. Try me.

#52     Sep 19, 2008
  3. dalengo

dalengo

No.
    Collapse is coming closer to home.
    http://fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/roubini/

18 August 2008

Prof Nouriel Roubini describes “The Decline of the American Empire”
    The hot dots in economics today are, in my opinion, David Rosenberg and Nouriel Roubini. Roubini is a professor of economics at NYU, noted expert in international finance, and founder of RGE Monitor(a aggregator of economics and finance articles, invaluable for anyone in those fields).

His forecasts are grim reading (by comparison with my longer-term views, he is a pollyanna). For a brief on his forecasts, see this interview in the current New York Times Magazine (15 August 2008)
    In Roubini’s latest report he comments on a subject familiar to readers of this site: “The Decline of the American Empire“, posted at RGE Monitor, 13 August 2008. Here are some excerpts; I recommend reading it in full.

...… All these changes in the economic, financial, reserve currency and geopolitical role and relative power of the US will not occur overnight. But the trend is clear. The rise of the BRICs and other emerging market economies; the continuation of the process of economic and political integration in Europe; the US policy mistakes in economic, financial and foreign policies will steadily erode the power of the American Empire. This process will not be sudden and will take a couple of decades."

A couple of decades seems an overestimate to me. We shall see how many $T Uncle Sam added to natl. debt overnight with 'bailing out' WS to already pretty hefty $10T, with $50T+ unfunded entitlements. Titanic economy fundamentals are sound... and US workers fundamentals are sound - this is what we hear from near-decomposed future 'hero' decider... He wants to fight Russia over oil, having achieved decisive victories over cavemen in Afghanistan (and previously in Vietnam). Future never looked brighter...

#53     Sep 19, 2008
  4. I don't see a war with Russia over oil. Russia will fire the first nuke, and then WW3 will be on.

#54     Sep 19, 2008
  5. I think Russia has uncle sam to thank for its markets today, even when its own government took the steps their market was tanking. I think the article today that said Russia wants positive relationswith the US is becuase they see how bad there market can be affected by the us. Even as we were down as was the rest of the world, Russia and other less stable governments were getting hurt worse. So I do not think Russian wants to blow its chance at the WTO. It also seems all these articles about the american empire losing power, are ridiculous. Not saying we are the most organized country but again look at this week and look at other countries? We were not nearly the worst in terms of bank crisis for example several russian banks couldnt meet consumer committiments. So I think lots of countries would fail before us and if we ever failed then the rest of the world is gonna be worse off then us. I have nothing against Russian people just some in the govt who makes there lives harder. My 2 cents.

#55     Sep 19, 2008
  6. dalengo

dalengo

German Trader - be mindful of what you wish for.

I guess you represent the most peaceful and democratic nation on the planet Earth. You democratically elected Hitler, Georgians democratically elected Saakashvili on US money. Deep democrat Saakashvili leveled Ossetian cities with his 'own citizens' to protect them. According to UPI, he offered Georgia as a base to start bombing campaign against Iran. And Iran alone can make US pretty miserable in neighboring Iraq without much help from Russia, and US knows that (check Wikipedia).
    As I said already, Russians beat your German supermen into the ground and they will do it again if needed.

Happy trading!

#56     Sep 19, 2008
  7. vv111y

vv111y

I found a couple of docu clips on the 'Rise of the Russian Oligarchs' ... let's see....

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4817

For some historical perspective.

What stood out for me was that there was no obvious display of elaborate scheming or conspiratorial master planning that would show highly intelligent 'pulling of the strings'.
    More like pragmatically exploiting dumb luck, most of which was hinged on 1 western-educated, idealist economist.

It looked like they tried, but had no idea what they were doing and fell all over themselves. Now they are at some intermediate holding pattern.
    Same Old Lesson : changing people is a slow and hard process.

#57     Sep 19, 2008
  8. vv111y

vv111y

No, come on... US 'imperial might' and *short* term market volatility are not directly correlated. If you are talking about respective domestic economies & markets, ok, sure.

#58     Sep 19, 2008
  9. Of course it does. All exchanges around the world have Sam to thank for today.

vv111y, he's saying that the Russian exchange went positive today because of the SEC rules and Paulson, not because Medvedev and Putin threw money at the Russian market.

#59     Sep 19, 2008
  10. Wasn't it more the Russian winter that actually did the job?

#60     Sep 19, 2008