Russia Threatens To Strike European Missile Defense System

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, May 3, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Another opportunity for Obama to capitulate - in 2013.

Russia’s most senior military officer said Thursday that Moscow would preemptively strike and destroy U.S.-led NATO missile defense sites in Eastern Europe if talks with Washington about the developing system continue to stall.

“A decision to use destructive force preemptively will be taken if the situation worsens,” Russian Chief of General Staff Nikolai Makarov said at an international missile defense conference in Moscow attended by senior U.S. and NATO officials.

The threat comes as talks about the missile defense system, which the U.S. and its allies insist is aimed at Iranian missiles, appear to have stalled.

[snip]

She reiterated that the U.S.-built system, still in development, is being designed to shoot down Iranian intermediate-range missiles aimed at Europe, not Russian intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs).

Russian officials insist that the system has the capability to shoot down their ICBMs, thus robbing their nuclear deterrent of its credibility and destabilizing the Cold War-era balance of mutually assured destruction.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/3/russia-threatens-strike-nato-missile-defense-sites/

2. We need to get the commies before they get us. I support the shield.

3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Uhoh, if they attack our missile defense sites Obama will have to start apologizing profusely and turn the survivors over for imprisonment in the gulag.

Then he will invite the Red Army to occupy Poland, Lithuania, Czeckoslovakia, Hungary, Serbia and Croatia and then offer to nuke western Europe for the Russians if they promise to endorse him for President.

You know you've got a weak President when the russians threaten to destroy stuff.

4. rew

rew

Solution: Put the anti-missile system in the United States, and let the Eastern Europeans defend themselves. I can't imagine any reason why Iran would want to attack an Eastern European country. so America's excuse for the system rings a little hollow.

I want to see the tablet from God that says, "America must be world cop and fight everybody else's wars."

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Seems like a no brain er to me.

6. I think the Ruskies do have a point here. How would we react if they put one in Cuba?

The Iran threat is obviously a pretext. The real intent here is to make the point that the Russians do not have a zone of influence in Eastern Europe anymore.

7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I think the idea is that Iran cannot actually reach the United States with their missile technology but it is thought that they can reach Europe.

8. pspr

pspr

If Obama has his way, Russia and China will be the only countries with a massive stockpile of operational nukes. I think he has already started dismantling ours.

I'm all for Russia putting DEFENSIVE missile systems in Cuba or Venezuela. Russia has no point with their argument. They just know Obama said he will work with them after the election and he has no backbone for protecting America.

Obama does like to murder people with drones, however. It's estimated that 10%+ of the casualties from drone strikes are civilians. Not to mention all drone strikes occur in countries that we are not at war with.

9. Western europe is the one's undeserving of our defense system, the Eastern nations are much more anti-communist.

I wonder why?

10. Mav88

Mav88

Jimmy Carter miscalculated the Russians, he thought just being nice ol enlightened democrat would make them his buddy, Afghanistan was his reward. Reagan understood Russians and told them to go to hell over the Pershing IIs, we won the cold war after that. Obama will probably be Jimmy Carter I am guessing.

Russians themselves have said the cold war is over, so why is there a need for balance?

#10     May 4, 2012