Russia Is Only Down 75 Percent YTD

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by libertad, Nov 20, 2008.

1. I invested a small portion of my funds in a Eastern European fund heavily weighted in Russian stocks. It's been decimated.
    I had great hopes for the future of the former eastern block countries and the relative strength up until summer was a good sign . I didn't have a clue. Lesson: don't invest on funnymentals and personal beliefs. I also got long MTL and rode it from the 50's to 5 , there's never been a decent pullback to sell . Since I am not completely stupid it was less than 3% of portfolio and I reduced after the Putin episode.

I guess I will never touch anything Russian again unless it's a lady or a gun.... even if I know only the gun is to be trusted.

#11     Nov 21, 2008
  2. gaj

gaj

if i'm reading correctly, that was a take-off on yakov smirnov's jokes..

#12     Nov 21, 2008
  3. HLB

HLB

I remember several year ago foregners weren't allowed to invest directly in Russian shares, only in ADRs / GDRs.
    Then they had huge imbalances between ADR in US and original shares listed in Russia, for example Lookoil ADR had premium of +15-20 %%
    Didn't checked what's the status today.

HLB

#13     Nov 21, 2008
  4. Say what you will about Russia, but when there is a World War we've always fought with them and crushed pretty much everyone else on the Planet.

Seriously, Russia is good to keep afloat if for nothing but to call on when shit hits the fan. Their winters are almost as bad as ours in Detroit.... :)

#14     Nov 21, 2008
  5. Mecro

Mecro

Ahhh, you're just upset you got taken by a Russian golddigger.

Punk Bitch.

#15     Nov 21, 2008
  6. Mecro

Mecro

LOL!

My pops loves it, he is making a killing.

#16     Nov 21, 2008
  7. Imba

Imba

Hmmm.... and whats you problem to invest onto it directly? Its way not so hard as you may think of it really. At least not much hrder then to open an account onto any US futures...

Im not a tax-breaker expert, but im absolutely sure, that if you want to invest any summ of money which is not a huuuge one for a retail trader ( like 5+ mln USD), its a easy one deal really.

And you wont need to pay 25% taxes in Russia, because your not a locale citizen. Ofc its quite iiligal, but still doable.

PS: Am speaking about direct accest to the both of russian markets, and not about some ADR and a-like stuff.

#17     Nov 21, 2008
  8. Charming, I'm sure people are seeking your company for advice and a great example of how to live.. NOT!!

#18     Nov 21, 2008
  9. Nice invitation for your first post. Ask stock_trad3r, he seems to lean gay.

Welcome to ET, little one.

#19     Nov 21, 2008
  10. I keep hearing that about Russian girls... nice to look at but cold to the touch?

#20     Nov 21, 2008