Russia gas nationalization and politics

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Hook N. Sinker, Feb 2, 2007.

1. You are talking out of your a$$, again. Barely related to my intial post, which you have yet to understand even by a small margin. Just drop it, you're a waste of time, have no idea of what you're talking about and are easily influenced by biased emotional news reports. Just like the sheep you are, the mirrors are not even needed, the smoke is more than enough.

You're right, Russia should just bend over and let the foreign capital completely overtake it and exploit it. Sell out the nation's wealth of natural resources while they are at it. I mean, why not become another notch on the belt of imperialism/mercantilism.

#11     Feb 8, 2007
  2. LOL! "Nation's wealth"! Nation's! I live in Russia - show me how state uses these huge sums of money from oil and gas export to support it's nation?

All the most profitable areas of economy are simply changing hands. Back then in 90's it was called "privatisation" when KGB tried to save the money of communist party and entrusted all the most profitable businesses which were in USSR to "new businessmen" (many of which are in Forbes list now). Time passed and some of them probably forgot that they are only temporary managers of all these huge businesses. Well, Putin & Co. found the very effective way to remind. :)

So what now: nothing new, all the most profitable areas of Russian economy are simply back to those who gave them to manage to those so-called "businessmen" for some time.

As for Russian nation - people never, NEVER got anything, only those who are on top of the nation (kings, communist leaders etc.). There never was a true open economy, true business, true market and freedom for citizens, maybe only partially and until your business is small and not interesting to "big brother"
    (which is, BTW corrupted like hell).

That's one of the strongest reasons I had chosen trading as my business: no need to deal with all this BS which goes on here in "real" business. Been there, done that. Thank you! :)

So please don't make me laugh with all this "nation's wealth" etc. :)

#12     Feb 8, 2007
  3. unfortunately, it's true.
    Alex, russia.

#13     Feb 8, 2007
  4. Do you have the slighest idea what happens to a nation when it sells out its natural resources?

Check out the many third world countries of Africa, South America & Central America. Maybe you should go live as one of the regular folk over there. Sounds like you would prefer it. Free Trade Zone is a great concept.

#14     Feb 8, 2007
  5. You're right. Living off selling resources is the path to nowhere. And this is exactly what's happening here. Nothing else is being developed.

And believe me, "nationalization" won't stop it. Even makes it worse.

Country is absolutely dependant from oil prices, just like USSR was and BTW this caused it's crash in 80's.

Seems like you don't know exactly what's going on here. Where do you live? :)

#15     Feb 8, 2007
  6. Neodude

Neodude

Putin is the same wolf in new sheep's clothing. When will Russians understand that their government never has their best interests in mind? Whether it be oligarchs or ex-KGB wanna be dictators, its all the same shit. When the communist revolution happened it got better for a little while too, then it all turned into the crapper like it always does.

One thing is obvious, the Russians are tricked over and over again by the promise of a "Glorious Mother Russia", which never materializes into an economic benefit for the regular people. Its a nice idea used to keep all the corruption in Russia hidden and the masses playing along.

All this nationalization of oil, gas, coal, etc will only result in a new corrupt bureaucratic machine that serves itself.

-Neo

#16     Feb 8, 2007
  7. Already resulted. :(

#17     Feb 8, 2007
  8. Cesko

Cesko

Hydroblunt if anybody is brainwashed it's you. Read the above, the guy speaks my mind.
    Putin, another kind of bureaucrat(ex-KGB!!!!), how stupid to say that.

#18     Feb 8, 2007
  9. This is coming from someone whose posts sound like Fox News rhetoric. The irony.

P.S. Do you really expect me to take you seriously anymore. Just stop replying, you do not know what you are talking about and are too dumb to go look up anything once mention. Still struggling of what group I meant by "cowboy"?

#19     Feb 9, 2007
  10. Oh ok, so you prefer the oligarchs & endless currency runs of 1990s to the Putin era? Major oil, metal & gas assets being sold off to foreign interests for half their value? What you think a corporation has your best interests in mind, or even has any sense of resposibility to you? Free Trade Zone, my comrade, please go research it. If that's the future you seek out, the corporations are welcoming you with open arms.

I stand by what I said, you should move to a South America/Central America third world nation that sold out its resources since you think the grass is greener on the other side. Nationalization in Venezuela and Russia is a defensive move and started as such with Lukos. If you were ever to find out the details, you would know Putin had no choice. He is on USA's sh*t list for many good reasons. Whether his future intentions are evil or not, the primary driving force is a defensive tactic.

I know a lot more than you think, I get both sides of the input from my family (besides being from Moscow myself). The funny part is how much you're bitching about Putin's government power now, yet before you were probably bitching about how the wolf capitalism was running wild. Pick some comparables, then make some logical decisions.

What, you think everything just happens overnight? The USA welfare model took several decades to accomplish, and for the last couple, thing have been turning right back for the worse. Without outside financial help my grandparents are actually better off in Moscow than in USA. Think about that one for a second.

P.S. Of course the country is dependent on oil prices, would you rather be dependent on oil from importers? Don't be fooled by how USA plays their game, it's a path you can't turn back from.

#20     Feb 9, 2007