Russia gas nationalization and politics

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Hook N. Sinker, Feb 2, 2007.

1. http://www.cdi.org/russia/Johnson/2006-29-30.cfm

The same types of events that I read are happening in Venezuela are also happening in Russia: 1) nationalization of the most productive businesses and 2) suppression of political opponents. I wonder if Russian legislature will grant Putin "rule by decree?" According to the article above the Russian presidential election is scheduled in year 2008. I wonder if the election can be posponed or suspended.

2. "In the process of absorbing control of both the petro-economy and the media, President Putin has made powerful enemies. Khodorkovsky, locked away in Siberia, has not been silent – issuing repeated calls for the need of a Left Turn in the state of Russian affairs. From Israel, Vladimir Gusinsky maintains his ownership – for now – of RTVi, while Berezovsky still publishes the business daily Kommersant. There are others, and they may successfully apply pressure to the fissures forming in the massive, increasingly monolithic, pillars of Putin’s rule. "

As soon as these scumbags get mentioned in any light other than the parasitic sh*ts that they are, you need to realize that your article is biased and/or incorrectly researched. There is so much you do not know, there is some serious history to all of this, which is shocking yet fascinating at the same time. "Civil Liberties Union" and "Open Russia Foundation", lol. That's like Carlyle Group saying they do philatropic work.

While Putin may be quite autocratic, you have to realize that Russians hold a different culture about leadership. Do some reading on Peter the Great. No, neither are angels, but they are strong willed and hold the nations interests at the forefront. Which includes not selling out the nation's wealth.

Energy resources nationalization is nothing more than a defensive tactic against certain greedy interests. The cowboys are upset, very upset, and have been pushing propaganda through the media as much as possible.

It was coming from the day Putin became leader. Contrary to what most media wants you to believe, he seriously improved the situation because of his actions, which are deemed as totalitarian. Are there still problems? Hell yes. But unlike a certain Western nation, things are improving.

3. toc

toc

'I wonder if the election can be posponed or suspended.'

Russia Belarus Union to pretty much formalize in 2007 and the RBU becomes a new state seeking new leadership. Putin can then run for President of RBU and thus holding on to power for next 5-10 years.

I hope so too, because Russia needs a firm and focused hand like that of Putin otherwise entities like Al-Queda would have by now gotten hold of several nukes and other wmd gadgets.

US needs partnerships with strong and stable nations to win the war on terrorism that threatens to take the world back by several decades atleast.

4. Cesko

Cesko

While Putin may be quite autocratic, you have to realize that Russians hold a different culture about leadership. Do some reading on Peter the Great. No, neither are angels, but they are strong willed and hold the nations interests at the forefront. Which includes not selling out the nation's wealth.

Beautiful. That's why they are so successful as a nation.
    Where this stupid opinion that a bureaucrat is morally superior to the greedy capitalist comes from??? Is there an evidence of it? Can anybody provide any evidence that,for example, Stalin was morally superior to any business owner before Revolution in Russia? Is there an evidence that Putin (ex-KGB) has nobler intention than "cowboys" like Berezovsky?
    Regarding "nationalization of nat.resources" I am glad they did it since it basically insures they will stay a developing nation for near future.Regarding that, can anybody provide me with evidence that "nationalization of nat. resources" is good for country???
    Hydroblunt you don't display much common sense as usual.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!! Yeah, right

5. serg007

serg007

Nice post. I can say that as the Russian citizen (not Russian by nationality) who lives and works in Moscow. In the investment management business by the way.
    Despite all that articles, western money should be really happy here in Russia (+90% in 2005, +70% in 2006). And this is double-faced behavior, to pour shit on the country and to make money on it at the same time. These guys should make their choice.
    By the way there is an interesting observation. When a certain company is perceived to become more influenced by the state, its shares immediately rise. The last example is with Norilsk Nickel (ticker MNOD on LSE). It experienced 10% rally in two days just on the rumors of increasing state control. Should this control be a negative factor, this hardly could happen.

6. No, just what I said is WAY over your head. Which is kinda funny, cause the term "cowboy" is not that hard to interpret, I'm amazed you were able to screw it up.

Look, stop trying so hard to think prior to doing research about what happened in Russia over the last 15 years and what is happening now. FOX news isn't gonna give you the real run down. Your first few sentences show just how much of an ignoramus you are.

As of now, a bureaucrat is doing an amazing job in comparison to what the pure capitalist oligarchs were doing. But then, Putin is not a Europe/USA style bureaucrat. That is why I have mentioned Peter the Great on several occasions. If you were able to think for yourself, you would go look it up and understand why the majority of Russians are happy with Putin.

You do not know what you are talking about, at all. There is a whole sh*tload you have no clue about. So stop trying to argue with those that not only are very familiar with the situation & history, but also have close family & serious assets in the nation of topic.

7. Putin told MANY MANY times that he will follow Constitution, so no suspend/postpone/re-election . they will do their best to attract voters for someone whom he will name "my successor"... no need for suspend/postpone/re-election .

8. Cesko

Cesko

Putin told MANY MANY times that he will follow Constitution, so no suspend/postpone/re-election .

See Hydroblunt this Russian (I assume) brother of yours is naive just like you. Common sense (no need to study) should tell you not to trust what politician says. Actually you said he is different kind of bureaucrat so it must be so.
    Russian muzik has always been naive, gullible, submissive to authority, bending over backwards for batuska Czar (or whoever else with power) taking it in the ass over and over, being played like a fiddle by nationalist rhetorics like only member of a big nation can be. See russian muzik has always been tough thanks to alcoholic stupor he spends most of his life in.

So I tell you one more time, nationalization never works in the long run. Get it into your thick Russian skull somehow.

9. I wouldn't open a business in Russia if it were the last chance I ever had at making a dime. The corruption, the selective regulatory issue, everything regarding the government.

I was GM of a consumer products company in Moscow for two years. Sure, sales were great. The headache, however, is not something anyone other than a Russian company or a foreign business with a LOT of money would be able to handle. I've talked to other FMCG companies in the US, Germany, the UK, etc. They've all said the same thing. "Russia? No way. Maybe some day."

10. Hogwash! How old is your information? I'm sure hundreds of successful companies would disagree with you... There's so much ignorance about Russia, it's beyond me. When it comes to that country everyone is a freaking guru on it!

#10     Feb 7, 2007