Russel 2000 might start to crack because of fiscal cliff

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by hajimow, Dec 23, 2012.

1. hajimow

hajimow

So far my prediction on IWM has been wrong. That is all I can say but I still want to stick with my prediction. The most optimistic analysts are predicting 12% to 15% for the market in 2013. So far in just less than 3 weeks we are up 5%.

#31     Jan 20, 2013
  2. murrica

murrica

You are a trader, right? What difference does it make where analysts are predicting the markets will be at the end of December? The market can do an immeasurable number of things between 5% and 12-15%.

I might ask where do you consider your trade idea to be invalidated? Predictions are great and all, but what is the trading plan?

I can assure you that having a bias like this, without a plan, will only cause pain of some form sooner or later. I am speaking from experience.

If you are using such a small amount of your capital that it doesn't cause any pain to be arbitrarily incorrect on such a trade, I would recommend switching to long term investing strategies instead of trading. And this would likely not involve shorting US market indexes in the (very) long term. :) (Just my opinion)

Others reading your idea will surely be working under a different risk profile than you are, and having such a bias without a strategy to recognize when the idea is invalidated could be very detrimental to one's account.

#32     Jan 20, 2013
  3. hajimow

hajimow

Thanks for the solid response. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Specially with your last statement.

#33     Jan 20, 2013
  4. murrica

murrica

You are welcome.

Just curious if you are still bearish on small caps in the short term. And, if so, do you have a stop loss level?

#34     Jan 22, 2013
  5. hajimow

hajimow

Yes I am bearish on the market. I think it is overbought. When I want to short IWM or any other stock, I usually sell out of the money PUTs and Calls and if it rallies and I get short because of my Calls, I start to sell covered PUTs and the story goes on.

#35     Jan 23, 2013
  6. luisHK

luisHK

What about if the market sells off first ?

#36     Jan 23, 2013
  7. hajimow

hajimow

Lets say I sell IWM at 89. If I can take profit in 2 days, I am fine but if I feel it is going against me, I sell weekly covered PUT (in this case for 87. Then if it goes down, well I make money. If it keeps going up, I also sell next weeks 88 PUT. Remember you can sell more PUT than your short position because of Delta but you should be careful not to be burnt in the other direction (market goes down as you predicted and then you cover your short because of PUT and then end up being long because of more PUTs that you sold which is not what you wanted). You sell a strike price that has a relatively juicy premium but not that close that the shares get assigned.
    If you have sold out of the money PUT and Calls and the market sells off and your PUTs get assigned (say at 87), then you sell 87 Call or 86 call for next week so you can get rid of the shares in a week with profit.

Warnings: I know shit always happen. The trick is to start slowly and always think of ways to repair your position. Either close it with loss or repair it. Don't leave it because you are down and desparate.

#37     Jan 23, 2013
  8. hajimow

hajimow

#38     Jan 23, 2013
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

You remind me of GrandSuperCycle with all these short calls. The only thing missing are the "Wile E. Coyote" cliff charts he used to put up.

#39     Jan 23, 2013
  10. hajimow

hajimow

Also check out the chart which is up to date by 1/23/13.

Compare A -B to A'-B' and C to C'. What will happen from now?

• iwm.jpg
      File size:
      109 KB
      Views:
    #40     Jan 23, 2013