Russa Invades Georgia - Full Scale Invasion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by THE-BEAKER, Aug 8, 2008.

1. apparently reports we are getting in london are that this is a full scale invasion not just a couple of tanks and planes.

MEGVREKISI, Georgia (Reuters) - Fighting raged in and around the capital of Georgia's breakaway South Ossetia region on Friday as Georgian troops, backed by tanks and warplanes, pounded separatist forces in a bid to re-take the territory.

A Reuters correspondent said the roar of warplanes and the explosions of heavy shells were deafening more than three km (two miles) from the town. Many houses were ablaze.

Georgia's pro-Western president, Mikheil Saakashvili, said his forces had "freed" the greater part of the territory's capital, Tskhinvali, and ordered a full-scale mobilization of military reservists.

Russia confirmed fighting in the centre of town.

Georgia said four Russian jets entered Georgian airspace and dropped bombs on two places just south of the territory, which has been outside central government control since the 1990s.

There was no immediate comment on the report from Moscow.

The crisis, the first to confront Russian President Dmitry Medvedev since he took office in May, has fuelled fears of full-blown war in a region emerging as a key energy transit route and where Russia and the West are vying for influence.

NATO, the European Union and the United States, a vocal Georgian ally, all urged a halt to the bloodshed while Moscow vowed to respond after it said several Russian peacekeepers were killed by Georgian artillery fire.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSL768040420080808

2. Daal

Daal

these guys wait for the olympics opening to launch the attack, scoundrels

3. Mvic

Mvic

This will be a non story, no one wants to rock the boat and the US and Europe can not afford to take on Russia at the moment. Its only Georgia after all, 99% of people in the West don't even know it exists. Will be swept under the rug of global affairs. Taiwan next. After all what is the sanction? Economic sanctions? What will an already energy strapped Europe on the brink of recession do without Russian energy supplies?

We increasingly live in a world of corporate centric debt strapped unprincipled pragmatic selfish cowards. If the US doesn't break the insidious cycle it will eventually rot us to the core. Where are our Churchills? Everyone is too busy talking on their shinny new Iphone.

Nevermind, no one is at my door with a gun...yet.

4. Darn it! We're still suffering from Sherman.

5. Mvic

Mvic

:D
    Thanks I needed that.

6. Was it Georgia that was called the breadbasket of the USSR?
    Wonder what kind of strategic resourses exist there? Its always about resourses. I think I'll start a club to separate Texas from America if Obama gets elected.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

If you're successful, I'll move to Texas.

8. I wonder if this will cause as much outrage as the US invasion of Iraq.

Russia didn't have UN approval.
    Georgia is a sovergn nation.
    etc. etc. etc.

Will we see the outrage?

I think not.

9. Hmm. I wonder if that qualifies as treason. And, not surprisingly, you're a Republican, right?

#10     Aug 8, 2008