running stops

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tyler19, Jan 27, 2007.

1. tyler19

tyler19

How likely is it that my stops in the ER2 are skipped over while price moves through it? 1-4 contracts

-Ty

2. If they are skipped they must be some kind of limit order and I would imagine this is not uncommon.

3. you got the title right , say if the trend is down these f*!!! n s**!!bags will run it up just to knock out the stops and free money for them and then the f**!n down trend continues after they collect all there F**!!!ng free money running the f***!n stops !! thats why its so f*!!*n hard for 99% to make money and loose . you got that there rubber neck ??! frank r nyc

4. tyler19

tyler19

Phil thats not what I mean.

Im talking about If I have a stop in place. say a Stop Sell .
    Price of ER2 starts tanking, is it possible it skips right over my stop sell and keep heading down?

5. No, that is not possible unless the order was not transmitted from your workstation to the platform's servers and onto the exchange's order matching engine. In the case of a STOP LIMIT order, it could happen....but not with a STOP. It's never happened to me, and like Frank R, I've been stopped out a lot ! One other thing: even if you put your STOP SELL order in late, it should be converted to a market order anyway and you will get out at the BID price.

The ER2 is very tricky because setting stops too tight reduces your win percentage considerably, but setting them too loose (or not at all !) can cause some pretty fast dollar losses. I would consider the ER2 to be the most difficult to trade compared to ES, YM, and NQ.

6. I've been trading ER2 fulltime for a few years now and have never heard nor seen such occur as if there was a problem on the exchange side.

Yet, I haven't traded ER2 every single trading day nor every minute so I could have easily missed trading it on a day when such a problem has occurred.

However, I've heard of broker platform or software problems on the user side where stops don't get filled when ER2 trades through the price.

Mark

7. tyler19

tyler19

Thanks guys

8. tyler19

tyler19

Does price ever skip over a certain price? could it skip from 779 to 778.8

9. <i>"you got the title right , say if the trend is down these f*!!! n s**!!bags will run it up just to knock out the stops and free money for them and then the f**!n down trend continues after they collect all there F**!!!ng free money running the f***!n stops !! thats why its so f*!!*n hard for 99% to make money and loose . you got that there rubber neck ??! frank r nyc"</i>

Frank, if your method = approach is any good for the ER, it will give you a reversal signal going the same direction even after your stops are "gunned". In other words, if you are stopped out while short, your method should give you another short signal near or at original mark for second try.

Might try tick charts instead of time charts, and I bet you'll see things a bit clearer in ER. Also, you might try to relax a little bit... if no one can stand to be around you while trading, is it possible you aren't exactly "in the zone"?

<b>Tyler</b>, to answer your question specifically: stop-limit orders to exit can and will be partial filled or totally skipped across in the ER, entry or exit. Stop-market orders will always be taken out, with a tad of slippage at worst on 1-4 lots.

You DO NOT want to use stop-limit orders to exit = protect... ever. You may opt to use limit orders for entry, but I gave up on that. I either use market orders when price hits my objective to enter, or I click a limit order two ticks inside bid or ask. If the orders are thin, I'll slip two ticks at worst. If volume is normal to heavy, there is no slippage or even positive slippage, i.e. price keeps moving further in my favor as I click the order in to fill.

ER is tough to trade in its own right... but gives much more opportunity for solid profit than ER. The NQ may be smoothest emini of all, but each have their own distinct "personality".

10. What you meant is could the market price move by more than 1 tick. Well, of course, I believe that actually happened on Friday during the 1:30 pm swoon which was very fast. I'd have to get Time and Sales data to verify however.

#10     Jan 27, 2007