Running Open Ecry on a mac

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by kxvid, Oct 31, 2008.

1. kxvid

kxvid

Ok is this a good idea? I have a macbook pro 2.5 ghtz core 2 duo 2gb ram. I have crossover installed but can't get the demo to work. It says I need net framework v2, I tried installing that but it didn't work.

I do lots of futures scalping and need a new broker. TOS is a great broker but I need something more professional with many more contracts. I don't know if it's a great idea to run openecry emulated when lagless operation and reliability is paramount.

help?

2. rickf

rickf

OEC works fine on the Mac. Since February, I've been running OEC Trader in an "emulated" XP image [1] under VMWare on my iMac 24" -- no problems to report whatsoever. I let my XP 'system' exist in 1.5GB of RAM and its charts, DOM, and data are all fine for my daytrading activities.

Not sure if it's a problem with how you've got Windows installed or if it needs patching or anything, but OEC Trader indeed works just fine for me on my Mac.

[1] As a securitygeek I can say that 'emulation' is a bit of a misnomer - under VMWare, XP seems to function at near-native speeds on my Mac, compared to the horribly-slow VirtualPC from years back.

3. kxvid

kxvid

I'll try to get it running using crossover I don't want to have to install windows.
    Do you like openecry? How are their fills and the platform on your mac?

4. rickf

rickf

Not knowing crossover, I can't offer more helpful advice,but if you're NOT running a "complete" Windows emulator system on your Mac, you may run into problems. That's just my initial thoughts as a geek.

Their platform just works well for me on my Mac.
    Fills and data at OEC? No problems. A periodic bad fill or two with some slippage during fast markets, and I think my chart locked once in 3 months, but otherwise, no problems to report with them in "live' mode.