Running more than one platform on same computer?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by taclander, Feb 14, 2012.

1. One question: do you have a back up computer loaded with both platforms that you can use if the main one goes down?

REDUNDANCY is the word...

* Always have a back up computer ready to go with all platforms loaded in just in case.

#11     Feb 23, 2012
  2. RobertG

RobertG

I used 2 platforms with the same feed.
    My computer is above average, and in the end I decided to run it on 2 seperate computers because as someone said here, when one went down it affected the other. Just my experience.
    Stick to simplicity.

#12     Feb 23, 2012
  3. You need a network controller. Gaming network cards are the best. I run over 8 programs while I trade so a network card is a must. I use Bigfoot's Killer card built into my motherboard.

#13     Feb 28, 2012
  4. I know this question is simplistic but how would one run their platform(s) in the cloud? What are the pros and cons and if you are a discretionary trader is it either pointless or maybe not even possible/

#14     Feb 28, 2012
  5. Lag Lag and more lag.. Never run your trade set up in the cloud.....

#15     Feb 28, 2012
  6. LOL stupid

Automation is ideal in data centers. Discretionary is fine too since you're pathetically slow mouse clicks don't make any difference anyways. HEre's a poem for yalls:

Discretionary retail traders lose, they just lose.
    HFT wins, always.
    Learn algo.

#16     Mar 3, 2012
  7. tortoise

tortoise

Thanks. Here's another one:

Noise is noise, Truth is not.
    Learn to tell one from the other.
    And win.

#17     Mar 3, 2012
  8. Pure BS! Are you EMG's cousin? Your posts are just as his....ignorance reigns supreme!

#18     Mar 3, 2012
  9. Best post I've seen on ET in a while!

OP - if you are running two Java-based platforms (on Windows 7 x64 I assume) I'd be worried no matter how robust the system. Java has been funky lately (past 12 months) and two platforms can really grind things to a halt.

What are your system specs? What OS and what Platforms?

I had no problem running IB's TWS + Bloomberg + E*Trade's pro platform on the same machine running 6-monitors - but that machine was an $8k dual-xeon with 36gb RAM. FWIW, it still hung & froze at times and I was up there on system utilization. The CPUs ran <10% but it was a RAM hog. CPUs were W5580 and the RAM was FB 1066 DDR3. Was expensive at the time.

When you say "two platforms" do you mean a data feed and a broker or do you mean two data feeds and two options to execute?

#19     Mar 4, 2012
  10. I think you are on the right track - an integrated video card is slow and cheap just like how onboard NICs can hog CPU and system resources.

That said, very few people can saturate a 100mb line nevermind gigabit connections. Rather than waste $100 on a single-port gaming card for the same money you can buy a Linksys Small Business RV042 wired router + an Intel Pro 1000 MT dual-port Server NIC (or a PT if you only have PCI-e) and be under-budget and crush that expensive gaming card.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&_odkw=bigfoot+killer+NIC&_osacat=0&_from=R40

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=intel+pro+1000+mt+dual
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=15&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

I agree that an add-in network card is a must for any serious trader but the add-in card is pretty far down the line... First you need a decent internet connection, second you need a decent router and finally you need decent local hardware. For $100 you can make that happen ($20 Linksys RV042 + $20 Linksys WRT54GSv2 + $50 Intel Pro 1000 PT DUAL).

My point is (respectfully) that gaming cards aren't the best for trading. For less than the price of that single card you can set up an office for 15-20 traders and have connectivity that would rival many hedge funds.

#20     Mar 4, 2012