Running Back $100 million NFL Contract - you gotta be kidding me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 1011011, Sep 11, 2011.

1. We essentially don't agree, but I just feel the "worth" is severely overpriced. But I suppose "100 million" is "decent" in the type of financial situation, because if you gave the guy 1 million, even though he basically trains and plays football for a living, 1 million really wouldn't go very far these days. I guess that speaks to a bigger overall problem of the situation anyway.

And yes, a lot of these guys wouldn't be able to dominate, because the game of football has changed drastically. Aside from the skirt on the quarterbacks, receivers can't even hand-slap each other without pass interference, god forbid somebody horse-collar tackles somebody (because that's "unfair" somehow). These guys were clothes-lining each other back then. But on that aspect there probably is no argument between a lot of the fans of the game.

I just think 100 million is getting to the realm of "fucking excessive", lol.

#11     Sep 15, 2011
  2. Max E.

Max E.

Trust me, im not a big fan of these 100 million dollar contracts. I also think it is excessive. All i was pointing out was the fact that it has drawn a much better pool of talent to the game compared to the old days.

As for them pussifying the game, i agree that the league keeps making more and more rules which make it more of a pussy sport. However what i was getting at was that back in 1960 they didnt have a 350 pound offensive lineman who could run the 40 in less than 5 seconds, running into someone like that at full speed is pretty much like getting into a car crash.

These guys keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster. The average NFL career is less than 4 years now, so all the league is trying to do is protect them a little bit, and i can understand the motive, even though, as a fan i dont like it.

#12     Sep 15, 2011
  3. #13     Sep 16, 2011
  4. Well, shit, solidly put together right there. You have a good point about the monster trucks running into each other on the field in the modern game.

I also made a typo in my previous response to you, I meant to say "we essentially agree". Sorry, my dumbass and my inability to type correctly.

#14     Sep 16, 2011