Running a hedge fund is tougher than you think

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mickson, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Apology accepted. Hope you feel better.

#11     Apr 6, 2008
  2. <i>"My ES methods are good up to 2000 contracts per trade."</i>

Sometimes. If you try to fill 2k ES contracts on every trade, some will have 0 to -1 tick slippage while other times the entire order will spread across a 4-5 tick range from intended fill.

Using strict limit orders will partial fill at that size more times than not.

The ES is most liquid (by far) of all eminis, but there are not a guaranteed 2k contracts available for everyone at any point on the dome in the first place. Many times the ES has 2k stretched across three ticks on the bid/ask dome, and that's assuming no one else wants in/out at the same spot when you try to fill.

Trading more than 200 ES contracts on a fill will result in partial slippage far more often than not. It's liquid, but much less so than most people realize. Watch a 2000-volume chart sometime... I think you'll see bars bigger than one tick across each span.

BTW... nice work in your journal. Keep up the exponential math, and you'll find the ES break-point of liquidity soon enough :)

#12     Apr 6, 2008
  3. Thank you Austin. Nice to hear from someone who is not FOS trying to discredit me. Time, of course, will tell if I can reach the goal. At this point, I am highly confident.

But what happens then in ET land?

#13     Apr 6, 2008
  4. You go away? I would only start a Hedge Fund to annoy my relatives.I'm giving it serious consideration.

#14     Apr 8, 2008

5. why would you ever share something like that?

smoothing is used in presentations to lesser educated shareholders and investors in your fund. why would you share that?, let alone admit to using this often hidden fact amongst presentators?

do you seriously trade such size in the Emini pits, and have not considered the much better depth you get from bond contracts?

this seemingly simple statement has so much lacking that it strains credibility all the way over towards credulity... imho

#15     Apr 8, 2008

6. the participants on ET are some of the most creative minds I have ever had the displeasure to disassociate with, that your story must be true!

what sets you apart from the scallywag likes of us pirates, mate' argh

that you actually cash a salary check every so often,

and for the most part if we don't profit from pillaging and smashing, then we goes hungry....

so what be the sympathy you be seeking from the likes of us kind?

argh?

#16     Apr 12, 2008
  7. mickson

mickson

Every so often when the tank is on reserve, I find quiet comfort in the fact that I am not alone in this dog eat dog world.

Sympathy is not what I seek. Similar experiences tell me there are "others".

#17     Apr 12, 2008
  8. Mickson,
    where are you located anyway, which country/

#18     Apr 27, 2008
  9. mickson

mickson

Australia

#19     Apr 27, 2008
  10. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1875387#post1875387

Perhaps you should make good on some of your old PM promises before committing to new ones? Still waiting...

#20     Apr 27, 2008