Runners Vs. Set Target to exit

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by John9999, Nov 8, 2018.

1. John9999

John9999

UPDATE: I just have to have the exit as an order on my trading platform. For whatever reason I just cannot hit the exit button and many winners turn into break even trades and I do not have to sit there with my hand on the mouse ready to click. Just works for me.

#31     Nov 28, 2018
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Entire position should be put on at outset and then all taken off in unison. This is the optimal technique over the long haul.

#32     Nov 28, 2018
    SimpleMeLike and John9999 like this.
  3. John9999

John9999

yes yes yes,,,, that just works for my mental makeup. I have learned this over time and the HARRDDD WAYYY

#33     Nov 28, 2018
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  4. tomorton

tomorton

I agree with treating the trade as an indivisible whole - at least for private retail trading with our level of capitalisation. e.g. If your long position has a 75% probability of price rising, then that's 75% for all of it, not 100% for this bit here and 50% for that bit there. Get in or get out.

#34     Nov 28, 2018
    John9999 and Buy1Sell2 like this.
  5. John9999

John9999

yes I completely agree.. while getting out say 1/2 at some level and the other 1/2 at another sounds great on paper, in real life trading it is mentally hard to do. I cannot stress enough how mental this whole trading thing is. For me,,, all in,,, all out on bracket orders, once I am in the stop and exit are also live orders and the biggest challenge for me is to leave them alone

#35     Nov 28, 2018
  6. speedo

speedo

There is no one size fits all, you have to find what works for you. I go all in and all out with a target based on average maximum favorable excursion. Stops and targets are triggered on entry by my ATM. It keeps things simple and I like simple. Most extended moves will give additional entries but if one doesn't then it doesn't....that's trading.

#36     Nov 28, 2018
  7. John9999

John9999

went back yesterday to strict stop and target exit... 3:1 ratio.. it is so much less stressful, just put in the entry order and let the system take care of the rest. sure, I will miss some humongous runner, but I do not care. This exit strategy works for me.

#37     Nov 29, 2018
    Newc2, murray t turtle and Handle123 like this.