Run IB API headless

Discussion in 'App Development' started by bln, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

TWS or the gateway does NOT provide the API. IB implemented and offers an API. The API by IB's requirement must connect to TWS or the gateway and TWS and the gateway in turn maintain IB server connectivity. How the gateway is managed, via Gui interface or headless doesn't change the routing logic UNLESS IB makes significant changes to the API and makes the gateway obsolete.

With all due respect and acknowledgement of your work but I only see some edge cases where this might be useful. The time it takes to configure your gateway, set the ports right, copy the ini files will be as much if not longer than simply installing the gateway on whatever host you want it to run. Who cares it has an additional gui layer or not. It exposes the same functionality in the end. Changing ports and dealing with network issues can make working with dockers a total nightmare from my experience. Why making installing the IB gateway, setting the port, and being ready to run more complicated?

Now if IB made the gateway obsolete and redesigned its API to directly connect to its servers that would be a real game changer.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    #11     Nov 14, 2016
  2. bln

bln

Agree, dont think it supports that, which makes the software pretty useless, only good for connecting to a demo account. IB have multiple types of 2-factor solutions which all requires interactive input.

#12     Nov 15, 2016
  3. There might be value in putting your entire trading system into a docker container; thus reducing implementation time in getting code dependencies, required libraries etc. Might be useful if you're using a cloud solution like EC2, since every time you start up a new virtual machine you need to install all that crud. Or if you're running a system on parallel machines which otherwise again you'd need to manually setup (something I've been thinking about a lot, see my twitter feed https://twitter.com/investingidiocy).

I found this link useful:
    http://timothybramlett.com/docker_tutorial_for_python_apps.html

But sure any kind of headless system will need a way to view the graphic display to deal with the two factor authentication. I use VNC myself (local headless trading server).

GAT

#13     Nov 15, 2016
  4. Actually there are 3 methods IB uses for 2-factor authentication: the printed card with the random numbers, the pocket calculator and the smartphone app.
    I switched from the pocket calculator to the smartphone app earlier this year and you don't have to type anything into TWS when you log in (except the username and password). You receive a message on your phone, enter the PIN and TWS receives the authentication and logs in automatically.
    Maybe this will work with the smartphone app authentication.

#14     Nov 15, 2016
    Zzzz1 likes this.
  5. Hi guys,

The thread is above my head (knowledge), however I am wondering if you fellows can tell me how (with details) to setup the following.

Parts
    A-windows 7 laptop that connects to the Starbucks Wifi and my IB account
    B- a broadband router and two lan cables
    C- windows 10 laptop

both laptops have IB TWS software and NT7 software installed and running
    I want C to be able to connect to IB for the datafeed to run its NT charts

Problem
    If I connect to my IB cash account on A then if I try to connect to IB demo account on C it won't let me because IB sees that a different IP is already connected to my account.

So I wanted to network the two laptops together so that both are accessing the internet through laptop A. When complete, laptop A with be running its own TWS (via the cash account) and NT and laptop C will be running its own NT charts.

I have been able to make a home network (with both laptops connected to LAN ports) on my router. However, I haven't been able to get my windows 10 laptop (C) to be able to "see" the internet connection that A has made.

1. Can what I want to do be done?
    2. Do I need to learn powershell to get around WIndows 10 "protecting me" with its dummied down severely limited "home network". so laptop C and see the wireless modem via the network?

Thanks in advance

#15     Nov 19, 2016
  6. Would buying a Wifi wireless router and plugging it into the back of the router in the WAN port be the way to go?

#16     Nov 19, 2016