rumour leading to yesterday's selloff

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sumosam, Dec 2, 2008.

1. here's a reference: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...9/Hedge-fund-redemptions-force-a-rethink.html
    Last Updated: 11:38AM GMT 02 Dec 2008 By Jeff Segal, breakingviews.com
    ' With fewer than 30 days remaining in 2008, investors’ last opportunity to
    pull money out of hedge funds this year is now past.' not sure if that's UK
    only or US, world also
    however it's all a bit moot isn't it when funds can halt redemptions and
    mutual fund redemptions are still continuing

#21     Dec 2, 2008
  2. richrf

richrf

From what I can tell, hedge funds redemptions have pretty much ended - probably for the foreseeable future. There are now two things that will work in the U.S. market's favor:

1) Most of what was redeemed by major institutions will find its way from short term Treasuries into the markets.

2) Allocations are probably being resized to favor conservative and moderate growth stocks.

All in all, it adds up to lots of money waiting to re-enter into the market slowly. More and more it looks like the floor is in, and Bulls are just waiting in the woods for Bears to show up with cheap prices for sale. I bought more SSOs today. Couldn't resist.

#22     Dec 2, 2008
  3. That issue has already been discussed by analysts a while ago.

PPL bitching about rumors or manipulation are a bunch of morons.

Hedgefunds propped this market up and now they're gonna take it down

#23     Dec 2, 2008
  4. This turned out to be a good topic btw. I finally read something worthwhile on this site.

#24     Dec 2, 2008
  5. richrf

richrf

Hedge fund leveraging has certainly hurt the market and the country as a whole. However, their dirty work is not yet over. Now that they have sufficiently panicked the public, they are going to begin accumulating - until they are ready to sell again. Then, they are going to start leaking stuff to the CNBC reporters, exhorting the public to buy.

The real culprits in all this are the dim wits who lazily cover the news and report whatever the hedge funds want them to say. I just tune out all "rumours" and take them for what they are worth - i.e. to get the public to do the exact opposite of what they should be doing for their own benefit.

#25     Dec 2, 2008
  6. bh_prop

bh_prop

So this entire train wreck of a stock market was all part of some master plan by the largest hedge funds so they could accumulate at lower prices? lol, whatever.

Next you'll tell us GM has intentionally built mediocre cars hoping to reduce new car sales so that they might gain access to cheap govt financing.

#26     Dec 2, 2008
  7. richrf

richrf

It is far simpler than this. The hedge funds do all that they can do - legally and illegally - to make money. Spreading rumors is just part of this complex game. Ditto for GM. The execs did all that they could do to make themselves multi-millionaires. And the heck with workers, country, and all that. What I have begun to understand is that not only is Greenspan (and other Bush hacks) totally naive, they are academic dimwits who don't understand the extent that our financial industry is populated by people focused on their own wealth accumulation to the unlimited detriment to everyone else.

Or to make the last paragraph even more succinct - greed is what did everyone in. But I think it is all over, and sound governance and reasonable rules are back in vogue in our country, witnessed by the election of Obama.

#27     Dec 2, 2008
  8. That is wonderful news!

#28     Dec 2, 2008
  9. The vast majority of the HF community is imploding and arent coming back

#29     Dec 2, 2008
  10. Mav88

Mav88

Just give it time, it will degrade and reflect the wretched hive of scum and villiany that is ET

#30     Dec 2, 2008