Ruby interface for Interactive Brokers TWS available

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Raul641, Nov 30, 2006.

1. I am not a Ruby advocate. I use Java for what I think are good reasons. But for anybody that thinks Ruby is just geeks in a basement and not "mainstream" they should know that Sun is backing Ruby:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000091

More generally Sun is putting work into the integration of dynamically typed languages into the Java environment. It would seem than Ruby is their first choice. With Java becoming genuinely open source, we may see some good things happen here.

#31     Dec 1, 2006
  2. Raul641

Raul641

panzerman: You have abandoned the realm of legitimate discussion and debate and passed into ad hominem personal insults, so this discussion is over.

#32     Dec 2, 2006
  3. panzerman

panzerman

Look, I'd like to see your project suceed as much as the next guy, but you are approaching it like it is your senior project in college instead of a professional software engineering project.

If you don't care what end users need or apply some more rigor to the development process, you'll end up with a useless buggy API that nobody will want to adopt

What you are doing is too important to let it fall by the wayside like so many other crappy sourceforge projects do.

#33     Dec 2, 2006
  4. othrondir

othrondir

hi Raul,

do you have any unit tests in place? if you want to proxy objects for testing, I suggest using mocha.

ruby rules. other things certainly can have faster execution speed but it is a superior language.

the guy who is heckling you has no idea, literally, what he is talking about.

_o

#34     Dec 10, 2006
  5. stevenq

stevenq

It would be great if you could make a distribution. I'm behind a firewall and I can't check out the source.
    Best regards,
    Steven

#35     Dec 12, 2006
  6. mbbx6spp

mbbx6spp

Yes, panzerman, creating the ib-ruby project does solve A REAL-WORLD PROBLEM. Perhaps it is not the problem you want solved, but it is A PROBLEM that people (including myself) do have and want a solution for.

I suggest you define what problems YOU want solved and find people and/or products who can solve them instead of trolling this forum.

I also suggest with the number and frequency of your posts that you have a lot of time on your hands and suggest that you put your efforts toward more productive uses.

Good bye (from this thread) panzerman!

#36     Dec 13, 2006