RTS Algorithmic Trading Webinar

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by travis, May 16, 2009.

1. there is no doubt about it. there is huge money trading automated technical trading stratigies. I have personally spent a lot of time with specific fund managers, some with over 500mil aum. but a retail trader would do well to even understand 5% of the process they have under taken to make those stratigies with the level of risk management they use. and even then there are still people there 24/7 to keep the systems running correctly.

what I think is most refreshing though is to know that there are also 100% discretionary traders that manage money that continue to out perform these systematic traders with less risk. they almost never have as much aum though.

#21     May 18, 2009
  2. You point out a compelling message that is in the space.

I am using a 200 to 300 million dollar example for the fun of it.

The two organizations that combine to do the fund and its operation each have tasks they do and they get paid accordingly.

in the past here there have been several threads on starting up varous kinds of funds. Usually it is a cookie cutter kind of conversation among those who have this interest.

Another topic in ET is the dialogue among the "finders" and the ET crowd they phish.

#22     May 18, 2009
  3. Here is some output from automation and notice whether or not a programmer of the automation wrote the test for the output report.

The program is doing one thing and the clients and the economy are doing their things too.

The "finders" are all getting clients. The managers are all making money. So how does it go over time for all of these employees and their clients and the finders of the clients?

People are attracted to "trading" and to the markets for various reasons. Funds fit into this array of possibilities and as we see the funds are making money.

[​IMG]

#23     May 18, 2009
  4. Here we get to go into the two outfits that are servicing the funds and take a look at ONE MONTH'S PROGRESS.

I am not going to go to deeply into anything except the ORGANIZATION. HOW ,MONEY IS MADE. HOW AUTOMATING SOFTWARE TO DO THIS, and HOW ANYONE WHO WANTS CAN DO A LOT BETTER.

HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE FOR THE MOST RECENT MONTH (feb, Series B)

[​IMG]

#24     May 18, 2009
  5. To day we get to look at the seven blocks on the fund and management organization chart.

[​IMG]

Looking at the block's expense charges would be a good way to start. This is one month so multiply by 12 to get annuals.

We can also gin up the job descriptions too

#25     May 19, 2009
  6. Let's get the chicken feed out of the way first: Operating expenses and other expenses (8K and 2K, respectively)

#26     May 19, 2009

7. There's some trading involved. Gotta cut a chack for brokerage fees: punch out 41K and don't be shy about it.

We added a little to the bottom line (meaning asset changes) and 41K is a mear token for that astute trading except most of it was holding not trading.....wasn't it?

We're running a fund here and you guys want to be traders. so learn to hold and see how to keep brokerage fees down ans assets approciating. are traders paid out od operating expenses or other expenses? I know you know...right....lol

#27     May 19, 2009
  8. Only four numbers to go to get the blocks of the organization straight. I know brokerage is an "outside" box.... this is a clue.

Lets tackle the four last numbers for this offshore fund......
    Boating expenses??????

maybe we ought to look at the change in ownership for a second. would issuances and redeptions cost very much a month. I mean where does the cost of issuance and redeptions come out of?? You mean the gross or the net change of assets? Really? Ae you sure?

Okay okay who owns what here? Who owns the fund and who own the management outfit????

HeHe....

There's only four more expenses.......

Is Surfertrader knocking on the door? Is he surfing on over to knock... does he trade...ohhh he's a finder......

What do the investors not get as part of the net due to expenses that are big??????

Where does all that B school training come into the picture?????

We need some low latency here for that brokerage payment we made........

#28     May 19, 2009
  9. Do big numbers like the last four deal with things in our conference room...our skyping...... our cell phones....

Gotta call .......be right back....could it be a redmption with the numbers we are pushing out the door????

Its not Andrew Lo on the phone. Its not our programming staff.

Stark who???........

#29     May 19, 2009
  10. Before we go too much further....does anyone know what "churning" means.

I got three calls waiting........

#30     May 19, 2009