Roy Niederhoffer HF lost 10% in March

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by turkeyneck, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Roy Niederhoffer's largest hedge fund lost 10% in March because of volatility in several markets after the March 11 earthquake in Japan. The $368 million Diversified Program run by his firm, R.G. Niederhoffer Capital Management, was down 9.8% in March, following a 1.4% loss in February, according to an April 5 letter to investors that was obtained by MarketWatch on Thursday. "We have had periods like this before in which exogenous negative or positive events have caught our strategy positioned incorrectly both during the event and afterwards," Niederhoffer wrote in the letter. "March was particularly disappointing however, given our strong start to the month. Unfortunately, the events at the Fukushima reactor in the two days following the tsunami and the subsequent three week 'risk-on' rally that followed caused many parts of our strategy to incur significant losses."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ro...d-loses-10-in-march-2011-04-07?dist=afterbell

2. What's Roy's long term record?

3. olias

olias

His long term record is excellent; as a squash player

4. Brother of Victor...

5. Once a put-seller, always a put-seller. :D

6. olias

olias

Oops! I was thinking of Victor.

I don't know anything about Roy's squash record

7. EPrado

EPrado

What is Dunn's long term record?

I mean if you are gonna trash guys like Dunn by only looking at March results, then lets only look at RN's March results.

8. not sure why anyone is being bashed.

some strats guarantee large losses at some point. this is not a reflection of its value.

that anyone would single out a bad month shows only the ignorance of the singler.

9. Many of the famous traders who have had exceptional returns have had several large drawdowns throughout their careers (eg. Soros)- you cannot make huge year on year returns without taking a large amount of risk.

Obviously if you invested in their fund just before the drawdown you are in bad shape, but over long timespans even with their 50%+ drawdowns most of them (the good ones) still have averaged very good returns over their careers..

#10     Apr 8, 2011