Routing stocks and options...

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Cabin111, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Cabin111

Cabin111

Hi there. I've traded options for years. I just do covered calls (yeah, I know boring). I've done 2 puts in my life...Just don't care for them. Anyways, I get frustrated in that when I try to buy a stock or trade an option, the big boys (computer programs) will jump ahead for me in the bid/ask. If I put in a price to buy GE for say $17.05, the computers will jump ahead of me and put their price at 17.05005 and get the buy. I (we) all know this is going on. I hope that congress will change this, but it seems highly unlikely. But that is not what I'm writing about (sorry...Rabbit hole). Just wondering if we are given a choice of routing companies, is one better than another to get an execution of a trade for a stock or option? Can you tell me which routing companies are best? Can you prove your answer...Not just I heard this...But maybe even a story from a reputable publication to prove which route is best. Thanks, Brian

2. Cabin111

Cabin111

Also saw something strange at Fidelity the other day. I have accounts at Fidelity and Schwab. Yeah, really boring...But I like strong stable institutions. To give you and idea...I bank at Wells Fargo. Just me. I was buying 300 shares of a stock (ETF). The only choice I had was all or none. 175 shares were bought...Later the last 125 got bought (same day). But they could have ended up giving me an odd lot. I don't want or need odd lots (for options). But there was no other choice...Either a potential odd lot or all or nothing. Years ago, you could not potentially get an odd lot...Unless you asked for one. Now you could get one and have to buy a full lot over 2 days...With 2 days in fees. No fair. Would love to hear comments on this or the above. I am reading the other threads and will look into some of the ideas for routes. Brian

3. never2old

never2old

4. Cabin111

Cabin111

Yeah, notice my thread was in 2018...A lot of things have changed. I have done covered calls for the Jan 2021 just out of the money for many of my losers. I still use Obamacare...Turn 65 in Sept. I'll take SSI at that time too. I want to keep my income low to take advantage of the tax break in healthcare (2020). Hope to sell a small farm in Jan 2021. Will have big profits...Long term capital gains. Hope to stack up my long term capital losses with them in that year. If the calls do not get exercised, I'll just sale my stocks for loses in Jan/Feb for tax purposes. Method to my madness. Tax planning almost a year from now. Just hope GE will still be around...Hugh pension obligations!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020