Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Allen3, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Allen3

Allen3

Hello

I know this has probably already been covered again and again but I can't find a clean thread discussing routers. I have cable internet. Need to run streaming data and possibly have fire wall. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

JIM

2. Bob111

Bob111

3. dcvtss

dcvtss

If that's all you need pretty much any of the consumer broadband routers (Linksys, D-link, netgear, etc) will do the job fine. I would definitely recommned using the firewall.

4. Allen3

Allen3

Thanks,

Would having a wireless function put my info in danger or should I keep to the wired routers.

JIM

5. Bob111

Bob111

stick with wired one

6. Allen3

Allen3

Thanks

Bought one today.

JIM:)

7. I'd suggest buying a wireless one and logging in to the WebUI and turning the wireless function to 'Off'. This way you can always have the option to use wireless if it ever comes up. I hard wire all my PC's but every now and then someone comes over with a laptop who wants to hop on my internet. I'll just turn it on when they are there.

I'd never actually place trades form a wireless router. I've had too much trouble with connection stability.

CajunSniper / Puretick Administrator-Trader

8. Bob111

Bob111

http://wireless.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/qt/disablessidcast.htm

just to give you idea, that even if you disable broadcasting it is possible to detect and access your router

9. dcvtss

dcvtss

You can set it up so only your laptop's MAC address is allowed to connect.

Or keep a steely eye on the street for people in vans with laptops. :D :D :D

10. Ahh no thats a differnet feature all together. Yes, on routers you can disable the broadcast ID but on Linksys (atleast) you can turn off the wireless COMPLETELY. :)

#10     Jan 15, 2007