Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pacifictrader, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Indeed, they take you up to 108MHz.
    I stuck with the DI624C for years. It served me well but I had too keep looking for updates. This has settled down now since about end 2005.

From dsl reports, one might conclude that all routers will give you problems once in a while.
    Same story for Linksys, Netgear as for DLink.

Are those very expensive ones like cisco any better? I doubt it. Maintenance also seems to have to struggle with those at large outfits.

I kind of decided that my next one is going to be a DI634M DI638M, perhaps DI724GU, maybe a newer one still.

#21     Jun 8, 2006
  2. Nothing special but that's the beauty of running a PIX. For a little under $400 you get to run the exact same code that enterprises use on their perimeter PIX firewalls costing $20k.

Think about it, I'm not talking similar code, I'm running the exact binary on my 501 that's running on the 525's. If a hacker can get through my firewall there are a hell of a lot of big companies out there that are in deep trouble.

So sure the hardware is overpriced for what you get (a 133mhz processor, LOL) but the money that has been spent on the software & the level of tech support is enterprise class.

The quality of software you get for the routers/firewalls purchased at BestBuy etc can't compare; a quick trip over to any of their supports forums illustrates that they often release buggy firmware (I know, I've played with plenty of those. Still waiting for a solid release of firmware for the Netgear dual wan firewall I picked up last year, FVS124G)

When you run a PIX you get rock solid performance, it doesn't reboot randomly, it doesnt hang. If you experience an unexplained connectivity problem you know the odds that its your router/firewall causing it are extremely low. $400 buys a lot of piece of mind.

I wouldn't recommend a PIX to my average joe neighbor who doesnt care if his dlink/netgear/linksys acts weird or hangs occasionally but since this is ET and we are talking about loss of money if your network fails I think its money well spent.

#22     Jun 8, 2006