Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pacifictrader, Jun 7, 2006.

1. If you are considering going with a PIX instead of a router I would recommend the 501, its what I use and should be more than adequate for typical SOHO usage.

One caveat of both the 501 and 506e, the latest PIX OS (7.x) will not run on them (not enough memory). There are rumors that a slimmed down version of 7.x will come out "sometime" but as of yet they are stuck running the latest 6.x code, which isnt necessarily bad since its already very feature rich but unless there is clear migration path to the 7.x release it may end up becoming a dead-end (no future enhancements)

#11     Jun 7, 2006
  2. Good advise. 3Com 3CRWE554G72TU is solid too. (but 3Com model numbers suck, compared to Cisco)

Osorico :)

#12     Jun 7, 2006
  3. Thanks Winter.

#13     Jun 7, 2006
  4. Oh, I forgot to ask, do the 501/506e connect straight to you ISP or do they require a modem/router to connect.
    I was looking at the Netgear 538, but it requires a modem. I'd rather have it all in a box.

#14     Jun 7, 2006
  5. Depends on what kind of broadband you have. The PIX takes ethernet as input so if you have DSL or cable internet then you will need the ISP-supplied device placed in front of the PIX (the PIX doesnt act as a cable modem or DSL modem). If you have FTTP (like I have) then there is no modem since the ISP is providing an ethernet interface.

Note that the PIX acts as a router between the inside and outside interfaces though so you don't need to put another router in front of it unless your ISP-supplied device is both a modem and a router (in which case you have no choice).

Another good choice is the Cisco 1800 series of routers - don't have any first-hand experience but the datasheets on them look good.

#15     Jun 7, 2006
  6. Thanks again, yep I have DSL, so I guess I'll have to keep my Zoom modem. I don't like it, but it should do.
    Though, that 1801 seems nice and since it comes with a firewall I could avoid the 500's.

#16     Jun 7, 2006
  7. Winter & Waterloo...

I was wondering what kind of SOHO operation you guys have. Last time I used PIX boxes and segmentable, load balanced routers (actually I preferred switches over routers) I was running a 150+ node LAN/WAN.

Not making judgment, just asking.
    Thanks,

Osorico

#17     Jun 7, 2006
  8. Actually nothing like that. Tired of crap equipment. I know, overkill, but at least it will work.

#18     Jun 7, 2006
  9. galiano

galiano

#19     Jun 7, 2006
  10. :)

#20     Jun 7, 2006