Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pacifictrader, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Anyone have any advice on good routers? D-link vs Linksys? Do you sacrifice much speed by going wireless?

2. lwlee

lwlee

I heard those new MIMOs are great for wireless.

3. Bob111

Bob111

4. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

I'm using wireless linksys wrt-54gs. It increased my ping time by 1 to 2ms on average as oppossed to going wired ethernet. Which is nothing. My net ping times for most sites is well under 100ms. I like the linksys boxes because the firmware can be upgraded for more performance or more options. I'm running a hacked firmware which allowed me to boost output tranmission power by 100%. And the box still runs cooler. I have had ZERO porblems since i had the box. It's been a year and counting.

5. This is the Linksys new one that rollled.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...513404&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

It's draft "N", but I read that the standard wasn't ratified - can't find the link though. (Slashdot I think). So you may be stuck with a router that you might have to replace when "N" is official.

Though, some of the early reports I read said the set up is buggy for most of these early draft "N" types. (imagine that).

6. tomcole

tomcole

If you're serious, dont bother with retail routers - get a Cisco 871 or equivalent.

7. JayS

JayS

Price looks reasonable but how simple for a non techie to use?

8. tomcole

tomcole

Pretty easy actually, plus, Cisco support is legendary.

Try researching it at dslreports.com

9. Great advice. Cisco's stuff isnt cheap but its rock solid.

10. Tom,

Would the 871 be sufficient for SOHO/SMB use, or would you get something like the PIX 506e firewall as well. I've been looking at replacing my router/firewall "all-in-one". I don't know much about Cisco's products, the 871 seems like a all-in-one. I guess the question is, should I look at the 506e or is that overkill.

#10     Jun 7, 2006