Router - which is THE BEST?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Oct 15, 2007.

1. I did a combination thing. I have a Cisco 871 with a Linksys plugged in to cover my wireless needs in-house. A dual network arrangement. You can get an 871 for a fairly good price over at eBay. Sort of like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-871-Route...ryZ64067QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe even cheaper with patience. I have a Linksys WRT54G but I'm probably going to the Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router that Linksys offers. My layout has served me well. :)

#31     Oct 16, 2007
  2. Aisone

Aisone

I'd recommend this router or the 4300 which is what I have. Iirc they use a 300mhz processor, faster than the linksys wrt routers. I have both and prefer the dlink performance over linksys.

#32     Oct 17, 2007
  3. Toonces

Toonces

Has anyone used the PePLink Balance 30? I'm looking at getting one of these, but not sure it's worth $350 more than the Xincom. I guess they have a 30 day money back guarantee, but it's only on models higher than the Balance 30, and those start at around $850.

http://www.peplink.com/products/balance-30/

#33     Oct 18, 2007

4. hey i have one here... does anyone have a problem with bittorrent killing the router w/ both default and dd-wrt firmware?

I am now running tomato firmware and have no troubles.

#34     Oct 18, 2007
  5. HOBO

HOBO

Is there a router/switch that allows throttling (per IP address or physical port)?

#35     Oct 23, 2007
  6. Poole

Poole

#36     Oct 23, 2007
  7. bellman

bellman

does vista not come packaged automatically with newer computers from the big vendors ie. dell and HP? I haven't purchased a new pc in a year.

#37     Oct 23, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

Many do, but you can find models with XP or just ask for it.

#38     Oct 23, 2007
  9. gaj

gaj

i've got the following setup:

cable and DSL come in to a hotbrick dual wan firewall router (LB2) which i got from tiger direct.

off of that is one port which goes to a wireless router (linksys WRT54g) and the other goes to my PC.

i've had a couple linksys routers, and i've found (along with talking to some friends of mine) either they work instantly on most machines, or there's a big of a hassle for intially working.

on the tiger - great router to protect against backups, but instructions aren't very good. a friend of mine who knows networking figured out my main problem in about 10 minutes (my DSL needed to have user ID / password input in PPPoE and a couple other tweaks)...

#39     Oct 23, 2007

10. Wrong. If you compare the quoted cisco router with the manufactured to a price home grade routers there is a big difference in quality and reliability.

#40     Oct 23, 2007