Router recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taclander, Jun 3, 2011.

1. I think I have a failing Linksys router. It is at least 6 years old, and supplies both hard wired and wireless access. I'm looking for both on the next router, and would appreciate thoughts for the next one. I use 3 for sure hard wire ports plus the wireless capability.
    Thnaks for thoughts

2. Eight

Eight

Build your own from an old computer and a few NIC cards, run Linux and an open sourced firewall...

3. Perhaps the most popular of all time at Newegg is Linksys WRT54GL.

4. I'm very happy with my Netgear wireless router...

N300 I believe.

5. JamesL

JamesL

How about get a NEW Linksys/Cisco router. If you've been happy with their product before, I am sure you will be as happy with the new models.

6. The Linksys WRT54G series is a little old. I have retired it and replaced it with a D-Link N300 router. It has a higher speed.

IMO: dual-band routers are the best.

For USD $70 or so for a router, I think it is not worth the time/effort to build your own. Think about the time you may need to spend in learning how to setup something and getting it to work.

7. I replaced my old Linksys router with a Netgear wireless N. The model is a WNDR3700. Really easy setup and does everything I need- supplying wifi in the house for 3 iPods, an iPad, and 3 laptops.

8. Fascinating. Would you please explain how to do this or point to where i can get more info?

9. JackR

JackR

10. Thansk for the ideas! I am a little worried about returning to Linksys models as on a couple of the tech sites people have mentioned issues since CSCO took over. It maybe a case of CSCO haters like MSFT haters, so I am trying to do more research. I did see the Linksys mentioned and have looked into it, and will look at the others.
    Thanks again

#10     Jun 4, 2011