Router or Firewall Program?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by BobbyMurcerFan, Mar 5, 2003.

1. You all convinced me. I just picked up a Linksys 4 port router for $80. And another UPS. Thanks.

#11     Mar 5, 2003
  2. TGregg

TGregg

Uh oh. Hope you got a switched router rather than a hub one. Switches route packets faster than hubs.

EDIT: Hmmm, fer 80 bucks you prolly got the switch, so yer prolly set. Check the docs, if you bought a hub for $80 then you bought it from a store (and you can return it). :D.

#12     Mar 5, 2003
  3. BobbyMurcerFan...what model Linksys did you get?

The Linksys BEFSX41 is less than $100 and includes a "Stateful Packet Inspection firewall." Is a $300 model that much better or are you just paying for the name? No offense intended...just asking and trying to learn.

#13     Mar 5, 2003
  4. I got a Linksys BEFSR41 ver. 2 Router with 4-Port Switch. Good? BTW, maybe it's in my mind, but I seem to load webpages faster now (and I'm still running Norton Personal Firewall).

#14     Mar 6, 2003
  5. If you think you currently have trojans, spyware, etc. in your machine, check out software (free trial) from Moosoft and Lavasoft to scan your computer.

As for security software, I do like Norton Personal Firewall--but I'm the person asking about routers, so I'm no expert.

#15     Mar 6, 2003