Router or Access Point

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Oct 10, 2003.

1. I see the difference has been explained. I use wireless setup and to take care of many issues of connectivity the hard ports give you a great alternative. If you have Linksys equipment, you can also purchase a booster (Linksys). Mine was definitely worth its expense. :)

#11     Oct 10, 2003
  2. An access point is a station that transmits and receives data (sometimes referred to as a transceiver). An access point connects users to other users within the network and also can serve as the point of interconnection between the WLAN and a fixed wire network. Each access point can serve multiple users within a defined network area - as people move beyond the range of one access point, they are automatically handed over to the next one. A small WLAN may only require a single access point - the number required increases as a function of the number of network users and the physical size of the network.

A wireless capable cable/DSL router usually has four wired LAN ports and a built-in wireless access point. You can also bridge an existing wired LAN by connecting a wireless access point (essentially a wireless bridge/repeater) to one of your wired router ports.

#12     Oct 10, 2003