Router Having Sporadic Outages or Hangups

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brownsfan019, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Yip, me too, that's why I suggested checking the ISP connection.

#11     Sep 14, 2009
  2. Only prob is that I have 1 high speed ISP option here - Time Warner.

U-verse is also out here now but the TV portion of that package is very restrictive. Might get them as a backup internet.

#12     Sep 14, 2009
  3. Those routes use flash memory and they only have so many rewrites.

If firmware update doesn't work then probably time to get new router.

FWIW, I had a lynksys that worked great then started to hang up my connection on a regular basis. I did the firmware update and it worked great. It finally wore out which according to a friend who is an "expert"(g) was due to the flash memory wearing out.

#13     Sep 14, 2009
  4. Catoosa

Catoosa

I have a Netgear FVS318 that worked great for 5 years with comcast. My comcast internet service was getting slower and slower with frequent outages. I was calling Comcast and accusing them of throttling my service bandwidth. A sharp Comcast tech gal thought I had a router slowly dieing. I purchase a used Cisico RV082 over eBay for about $100.00 and that cured all of my problems. The RV082 is a dual wan router if I ever need two connections.

#14     Sep 15, 2009
  5. Another thing to consider. Some of these older routers only support 10 mg max on internet bandwidth. Once I put my newer Lynksys in place I instantly received the max for my internet subscription, 16 mg down and 3 mg up.

#15     Sep 15, 2009
  6. Good stuff guys, I am learning something new every day.

So I'm going to replace the router.

Anyone have specific recommendations? I have some tradein credit saved up over @ Tigerdirect, so will probably buy there.

Thanks!

#16     Sep 15, 2009
  7. Lynksys has been great for me as a non techie

#17     Sep 15, 2009
  8. Maybe the connections are dirty. You might try unplugging and plugging in everything a few times, see if the problem disappears. Unplug and plug the main power cord too, sometimes that gets intermittent.

#18     Sep 16, 2009
  9. volente_00

volente_00

#19     Sep 17, 2009
  10. Thanks volente. That looks similar to the one I have now, so good chance it's just an updated version of what I have now. And it's run like a champ for at least 3 years, so I'm thinking of going that way again.

#20     Sep 17, 2009