rookie looking for help

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dvda420, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Just because something 'moves' doesn't mean YOU can make any money on it. Which big caps move 2% every day (when the maket barely moves 1%)???

Which people are you talking about who make 'good money'? Especially with $5k?

Dude, I'm sorry but $5k is NOTHING nowadays! Even most people in 3rd world countries would scrounge up $5k easily if they thought there was 'money' to take from wall st. Again, you're misinformed. Hard work and 'burning desire' don't cut it in this game. You need a LOT more. (Time, knowledge, experience, losses, a good amount of capital, an 'edge', etc, etc,).

#11     Dec 22, 2005
  2. dvda420

dvda420

I guess what I am really looking for is a prop shop in the DC area that would take the time to really talk to me, maybe let me come in for a week and see how the traders operate, maybe even trade with a paper account to see if I can legitimately make some money at it. I may be able to save up about 20k before the real estate market totally tanks and would therefore be able to take 10k and trade with that on margin. Again with 10:1 or 5:1 that would give me a lot of capital to move. Even a 1/4% on 100,000k is $250 and would be a good profit for the day.

#12     Dec 22, 2005
  3. mizer

mizer

""What makes it so difficult to do what I am talking about doing? Large cap liquid names move +/- 1% to 2% every day. The momentum is not that hard to see. Why do you say that the probability of moving that 5k leveraged 5:1 (meaning 25k) succesfully make money on this movement?""

Give it a try and you'll find out:D

#13     Dec 22, 2005
  4. dvda420

dvda420

Well GOOG move +/- 1% daily. Large cap, very liquid. GM does the same (mostly down but nonetheless movement) AMD, INTC, two other big name large cap stocks that move.

#14     Dec 22, 2005
  5. I think IB now has a 'real-time' demo platform? If so, maybe you could practice and see what kind of results you get.

#15     Dec 22, 2005
  6. mizer

mizer

I know they move.....but what makes you think you can catch them? Do you have a trading strategy?

#16     Dec 22, 2005
  7. dvda420

dvda420

Is there any cost involved in using the real time demo platform? How can I sign up to do that?

Also I realize that $5k is nothing. But, with leverage it can be something. In order to make and save money I need to make approximately $250-300 a day on average or about $5k per month before taxes.

If I am trading 50-100k than that should not be an unreasonable outcome. Also please explain why the movement cannot be capitalized on. I understand the difference between bid and ask but with the more liquid stocks the gap should be narrow.

#17     Dec 22, 2005
  8. mizer

mizer

"""I need to make approximately $250-300 a day on average or about $5k per month before taxes.

If I am trading 50-100k than that should not be an unreasonable outcome. Also please explain why the movement cannot be capitalized on. I understand the difference between bid and ask but with the more liquid stocks the gap should be narrow""""

You're already setting yourself up for failure

#18     Dec 22, 2005
  9. dvda420

dvda420

How so? I really want to learn more, so please explain what I am doing wrong.

#19     Dec 22, 2005
  10. Again, don't confuse the stock market with real estate. Leverage is fine in real estate, especially in the last 5-6 years. Trading is VERY different. Leverage will only blow you away faster. Hell, I use leverage myself, but that alone is useless and a dangerous weapon in the hands of a trading newbie.

As for a 'demo' of IB's TWS, go to www.interactivebrokers.com and look around.

#20     Dec 22, 2005