Ron Paul Wins GOP Calif. Straw Poll with More than Both Runners Up Combined

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Artful D0dger, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Ron Paul Wins GOP Calif. Straw Poll

Rep. Ron Paul easily won what might be called the Texas shootout in the California Republican Straw Poll Saturday, with the Lone Star state congressman finishing first among GOP presidential contenders with 44.9 percent of the vote and Texas Gov. Rick Perry coming in second at 29.3 percent.

Paul’s victory wasn’t particularly surprising, as overwhelming numbers of his fans turned out for the fall Republican convention in the Golden State, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“Raucous cheers and whistles and whoops and screams — one could be forgiven for wondering if they were for an elderly 11-term House politician or Justin Bieber — announced Paul's presence outside the doors. He then entered to another round of cheers and camera flashes,” the Times reported.

Conventioneers heard Rep. Michele Bachmann speak Friday night, and Paul and another GOP presidential candidate, Michigan Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, Saturday morning.

The Times chronicled the following quotes from Paul’s address as getting the most applause:
    "We have endless wars overseas and endless welfare at home. We can't afford that anymore; we have to change those policies."
    "We do need an absolutely thorough audit of the Federal Reserve.”
    "What is the purpose of government and political action? I think the main purpose of our Constitution and political action should be the preservation of liberty."
    "It would be nice if we had a lot more respect for the rule of law."
    "You ought to have a right to work hard, and you ought to have a right to keep what you earn."
    America's role is to have a strong national defense, "not to be the policeman of the world."
    Enthusiasm Paul generated throughout the day extended to the straw poll tally Saturday night, in which Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney finished a distant third at 8.8 percent and Bachmann, fourth at 7.7 percent. Then came Jon Huntsman at 2 percent, Herman Cain at 1.8, and Newt Gingrich at 1.7. The other candidates failed to break 1 percent.

Read more on Newsmax.com: Ron Paul Wins GOP Calif. Straw Poll; Perry Second
    Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

2. wildchild

wildchild

I like Ron Paul but he isnt going to win. Its that simple.

3. pspr

pspr

Ron Paul spends his money buying straw. I say build your house with brick, not straw. Straw will only rot away and leave you with nothing.

4. Rupert doesn't like him, therefore he is not Rupertable....

If the MSM doesn't report his popularity, it means people don't have to think as much because there are fewer choices. Isn't that better?

5. California residents are a bunch of leftist idiots. You don't listen to 'em. [​IMG]

6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

The elected Jerry Brown. No additional proof of idiocy is required.

7. TD80

TD80

We also elected Ronald Reagan, who most of you who are conservatives and ripping CA probably consider damn near second to jesus.

That said I'm very anti-Reagan. I'm anti-neo-conservatism and he is the one who kicked that whole train wreck off which in the end is destroying the country.

I am a fan of most of Paul's policies and while they are going to bring major pain in the short run, they are the only relatively quick way (10-20 years) out of our current predicament.

8. That's how the Liberal Left media influences/controls(?) the mind-think of the hoi polloi (oxymoron, I know).

They don't report Odumbo's flubs... they will put a negative spin on "everything Ron Paul". The average American can't think for himself, so Ron Paul doesn't have even the proverbial "snowball's chance in Hell". Nevertheless, he'll get my vote again.

9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Yeah, Ronald Reagan destroyed the country. LOL!

This is a different state now. Full of liberals and immigrants. Conservative California is long gone. I'm actually enjoying seeing the place come unglued. The roads are falling apart, watermains bursting regularly. Gas-line explosions. Police beatings. Great entertainment for the whole family! :D

10. Anyone who wants to end income tax and the drug wars has my vote.

#10     Sep 18, 2011