Ron Paul says healthcare not a right

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kassz007, Jul 16, 2009.

1. I agree.

I worked hard for a living and I have health care and life insurance.

I did not go to college. I did not ask for handouts and I am covered.

Why should I pay for someone who chose not to move ahead in life?

#51     Jul 16, 2009

2. THANK YOU! Well put!

* * * Let's call for the end of the Entitlement Era. * * *

You do not have a "right" to mooch off of the productivity of others.

You do not have a "right" to expect things be handed to you without working for them.

You do not have the "right" to be a permanent parasitic load on Society at large.

So STFU, get off your a**, and work for your future while maintaining some integrity along the way.

#52     Jul 16, 2009
  3. yeah, and liberals will pontificate and manipulate and cry for health care for all, without coming up with any mathematically sound way to pay for it and with no regard for the fact that the burden will fall on the most productive people - not the majority of their constituents.

#53     Jul 16, 2009
  4. Name ONE THING that is better in USA life because Government runs it - with the debatable exception of law enforcement, which IMO does OK considering how huge that aspect is.

Anybody?

#54     Jul 16, 2009
  5. aegis

aegis

I think he's right.

I'm 25 years old with a college degree and I have no health insurance. In fact, I haven't had health insurance since I was 18 years old. I never had a job that offered it and couldn't afford it anyway. I pay my dentist and optometrist out of my own pocket, and I haven't gone to a doctor for a regular checkup in a while.

If Americans are entitled to free health care, what about the millions of impoverished people in Africa and Asia? Should they get free health care as well?

It simply doesn't make practical sense. Consider that there are over six billion people in world, which is nearly double the amount that The Optimum Population Trust believes to be optimal. We simply don't have access to enough resources and health care professionals to make it happen. It's a pipe dream.

#55     Jul 16, 2009
  6. Yes! Bravo!

#56     Jul 16, 2009
  7. "If government involvement is cause of failure, then why is it different in Germany, France and other countries where education quality is much better that America's."

Government involvement doesn't cause failure. It causes inefficiency and a loss of liberty.

The question about education is a non sequitur and relies on the false premise that there's a causal relationship between government running education and education being better in those countries.

In many parts of Europe, there is school choice - something that doesn't exist here. In many European countries, schools are state funded, but students are free to enroll in whichever school they wish - even private school. So, while the government subsidizes schools, doesn't actually run them in most of those countries.

Teachers unions in Europe have a merit based pay system - something American teachers unions are completely opposed to and consider "an insult". European countries also have higher standards for teachers.

Education is more important to Europeans as competition for schools and jobs is greater, thus parents are far more involved in education and more demanding.

So, in fact, while European education is completely subsidized by the state, government is actually LESS involved in the school system in most European countries than it is in the United States.

#57     Jul 16, 2009
  8. I think that a civilized, First World country should ensure that its residents have adequate health coverage. Frankly, I'm surprised that there are so many people here who disagree. Some of you here seem to be taking for granted what others are losing their livelihoods over, not to mention their very lives. Is that the kind of country that makes you proud? Here's a little nugget for some of you rugged individualists to ponder: sociopaths are distinguised by their lack of empathy.

#58     Jul 16, 2009
  9. ...unless you're a Congressman.

It has been a long time since there has been someone on the hill as unwilling to walk the talk as Ron Paul. He is as pandering a hypocrite as has walked the halls of Congress in the past two decades.

#59     Jul 16, 2009
  10. Not really. The commonality they share is that they are "rights" given to you by your society, neither is an actual physical, inalienable right. In fact, there are are extremely few of the latter, virtually everything we consider a "right" is an artifact of social structure.

The "freedom" of speech establishes the principle of society-granted rights, so the comparison with healthcare isn't one of kind, it's one of degree.

#60     Jul 16, 2009