Ron Paul says healthcare not a right

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kassz007, Jul 16, 2009.

1. the1

the1

Great response!

Health care is a slightly different issue though. There are a lot of people who don't have health care but who are willing to work. They are out of work through no fault of their own. Should they be left in the street to die? The human race should be a few notches above survival of the fittest. That's one of the things that differentiates us from wild animals. There needs to be some room for compassion. If someone is willing to work they should have their basic health care needs met. The ones who are more fortunate to find work should get health care above and beyond their basic needs. If you are able to work but you refuse to work then you get nothing.

How many people become disabled and die during that 2 year waiting period for Medicare or have another heart attack because they don't have money to buy Plavix after their first heart attack rendered them unable to work? What does the second heart attack end up costing the state because they wouldn't fork over 5k per year for meds? I'm guessing a whole lot more than the 10k it would have cost during the 2 year waiting period.

#11     Jul 16, 2009
  2. I agree too. Just because someones a morbidly obese fat ass with a horrific case of gynecomastia doesn't mean I'm supposed to foot his hospital bill for liposuction in order to save whatever ounce of life is left in them.. or the person who contracts lung cancer because they smoked like a chimney their entire life. That's not my responsibility.

#12     Jul 16, 2009
  3. hah :D

#13     Jul 16, 2009
  4. the1

the1

Agree completely but what about your brother, or mother, or sister, or whoever, that gets laid off and loses health care as a result. Would you be willing to help them with their health care until they get back on their feet? It's not the lady camping out at MCD's eating 12 cheeseburgers who is affected by the lack of health care, it's the healthy person living next door who is just unfortunate to have developed MS, or asthma, or diabetes, or....fill in the blank. I think there are something like 120 auto-immune diseases. Pick one.

#14     Jul 16, 2009
  5. poyayan

poyayan

Yes, just don't confused with someone being nice to you as you have a given right to be served.

Ron Paul is not saying we should not be compassion about this. He is just saying that health care is not a right, unlike freedom of speech.

#15     Jul 16, 2009
  6. the1

the1

I agree with him in that sense -- I was not born to accept health care through RP's taxes but what if RP became disabled after a long and prosperous career doing whatever. Should he receive basic health care? The simple answer is yes.

I know someone who became disabled and didn't have health care for 2 years waiting for Medicaid to kick in. She died. It was a 100% avoidable death. She died because she couldn't buy medicine. Now imagine that person being your mother. You still think she didn't have a right to health care? She worked all her life.

#16     Jul 16, 2009
  7. no healthcare is not a right, even life itself is not a right. If this life does not even exist, what right is there to speak of?

“A wise man, recognizing that the world is but an illusion, does not act as if it is real, so he escapes the suffering.”--Buddha

#17     Jul 16, 2009
  8. Is healthcare a right? Who gives a crap. It's a pointless argument.

But if you want to have a working affordable healthcare system, everyone has to participate and pay roughly the same amount regardless of their health. The healthy subsidize the unhealthy on the assumption that someday they too will be unhealthy. We all subsidize poor people who can't pay.

This is done for the common good, just as my taxes pay for roads I don't drive and to educate kids I don't have.

#18     Jul 16, 2009
  9. If it is a RIGHT, why isnt it in the consitution??? :confused:

The problem lies in where hospitals and clinics charge exhorbitant sums of money for medical services to make their stockholders happy and line their CEOs with huge multi million dollar bonuses. All that excess money should go back to the health system to help the ppl who are in dire need ...like sick children, pay for life saving(non elective)operations insurance co dont want to pay for, etc.

The medical business has become more of: "how much money can I make" rather than how can I help this sick person(s).

The corporate medical culture in this country has lost a large sense humanity.

Its called G.R.E.E.D.

#19     Jul 16, 2009
  10. the1

the1

Exactly!

#20     Jul 16, 2009