Ron Paul says healthcare not a right

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kassz007, Jul 16, 2009.

1. http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/281590/Healthcare-Is-"Not-a-Right"-and-Obama's-Plan-Will-Cost-Way-Beyond-1T-Ron-Paul-Says;_ylt=ApURWGPeDCYNzoPNw3eFAaC7YWsA?tickers=%5Edji,%5EGSPC,pph,jnj,mrk,pfe,unh&sec=topStories&pos=9&asset=&ccode=

Ron Paul says healthcare is not a right. What is more important than a person's health?! I find it strange how the USA considers bearing arms to be a right, yet something as important as healthcare is a privelage. Am I the only one who thinks this is totally ass backwards logic?

He also mentions the cost of Obama's plan to be $1T. I suspect most are put off by the cost of the program rather than whether or not healthcare is a right.

I'm not familiar with all of the details of Obama's plan and therefore am not advocating or bashing the plan specifically, but I certainly think healthcare should be a right.

2. you do not have a right to food. You do not have a right to a house. You do not have a right to clothes. You do not have a right to good health. Just because they are basic needs doesn't give you a right to them.

You do have a right to protect your property though. No one can take something from you without consent. Therefore you have a right to own a gun to protect your life and property.

3. You are allowed to purchase and own a gun. It should not be a right that someone has to pay for your health care. If you want healthcare, you have a right to get it. I have a suspicion that RP is saying that you don't have a right to demand someone else pay for it.

And I agree with him.

4. Healthcare isn't a right primarily because (1) there are significant costs associated, and (2) the actions of another (healthcare provider) are required.

We don't consider it a "right" in this country to require/force someone to provide us a service at no cost.

5. oriol88

oriol88

of course is a right. And like with the right to bear arms the Judicial power guarantees that you have the option to purchase these services at the market prices.

6. jprad

jprad

So does the Constitution...

If it's so important than why do so many people abuse their bodies with fast food, drugs and alcohol?

Excuse me, but it's not like the government is subsidizing the purchase of private firearms.

Government handouts, especially the ones labeled "entitlements" are the real slippery slope.

7. its the american way. conservatives will piss and moan all day about health care not being a right for someone else but god help the politician who suggests that their 90 year old granny shouldnt get an expensive transplant on government paid medicare if she needs it.

8. poyayan

poyayan

You have the right for freedom of speech because it doesn't cost the government anything. The government just need to stay out of your path.

You have the right to practice your religion because it doesn't cost the government anything. The government just need to stay out of your path.

You have the right to bear arm because it doesn't cost the government anything. The government just need to stay out of your path.

You see the pattern?

You don't have the right for food, water, healthcare for free because in order for someone to have those, you have to take that from someone else.

When you are getting more from the gov than you put in, that is call welfare, entitlement, etc...

9. cgar

cgar

The right to bear arms is the right to protect yourself,self preservation.Emphasis on "self".You may purchase a firearm,the gov't does not provide you with one.

You have the right to healthcare,you may purchase healthcare anytime you wish.The gov't does not provide it for you.

You have the right to free speech.The gov't does not provide you with the medium.

You have the right to assembly.The gov't does not provide you with a venue.

Etc.etc.

Anyway,the gov't figures for the uninsured are misleading.The figures include people illegally in this country,somewhere around 10 mil.it is said.

Many issues here, I won't go on and on.

10. indexer

indexer

Health care is a right.
    Public safety is a right.
    Clean air and water are a right.
    Basic education is a right.
    Voting is a right.
    Gun ownership is a right.

Ron Paul is wrong.

#10     Jul 16, 2009