Ron Paul releases 4 part letter

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Jun 20, 2011.

1. One of the questions at the end of the first GOP debate was "who on the stage would be your preference for a running-mate?"

Paul's answer was "I'd have to inquire further - I haven't even heard their opinion on the Federal Reserve yet."

THAT is going to be interesting. Because whether you think Paul can win or not (I believe dismissing him out-of-hand is close-minded) he is going to interject the topic of the Federal Reserve and it's place in allowing banks that should have failed to grow larger and distort the economy.

If he gets to the point he can debate Obama - that will REALLY be interesting.

#21     Jun 20, 2011
  2. I don't hink that you are know Paul at all. He would cut defense and medicare in a heartbeat.

#22     Jun 21, 2011
  3. 1. The Defense budget for 2012 is just over $700 billion so you suggest he will cut most of it. Basically, this is impossible as this would deprive Vets of health care and retirement that are mandated by existing law. To cut these, he would have to repeal the appropriate laws, something I think is near impossible.

2. SS collects about 12% of all payroll-a huge amount of money; so it don't go broke. It just can't pay at current levels. No politician who cares to be elected will get far suggesting its elimination.

I agree that big changes are needed but things like eliminating SS and Medicare will be near impossible unless we go to something like the German model where you arr mandated to buy insurance or make investments that yield results similar to SS and Medicare.

As far as constitutionality, the Supremes have decided it is: see
    Steward Machine Company v. Davis, 301 U.S, 548[24] and Helvering v. Davis, 301 U.S. 619 (1937).

I wish Paul well and like a lot of his ideas but I don't see him getting elected.

Seneca

#23     Jun 21, 2011
  4. Politicians are all talk. None of them keep all their campaign promises.

#24     Jun 21, 2011